Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Want a new transmission mount, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want a new transmission mount, have some questions

Ok here's the deal. I have a poly transmission mount that I had on the car for a while. I got tired of the vibration and noise from it and went back to the stock mount. I like it a lot better. I had no idea how much noise/vibration the poly was actually making until I switched back. I had gotten used to a lot of it, apparently.

I'm wanting to get a stiffer transmission mount like the 1LE, but not as stiff as a poly one because that was too much. I've been reading and looking for part numbers on the 1LE mount and I have found a whole bunch of different part numbers and read that the one they are selling now doesn't really fit f-bodies correctly and can damage the transmission.

Also, am I right in thinking that the WS6 came with a different (stiffer) transmission mount than a normal Trans Am?

So does anyone have the current part number for the 1LE transmission mount or know where I can get one?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

as far as i know 98-02 ws6's were nothing but an apperance package and possibly a stiffer spring rate but dont quote me. my 02 ws6 deff doesnt have the 1LE mount. i think you should look for a mount for an lt1 WS6 or SS. what about just doing poly motor mounts and leaving the stock trans mount?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Launching!

What brand poly mount were you running? I've tried energy suspension on 2 different occasions and couldn't take the noise or vibration. I now am running a 'prothane' poly mount and it is just awesome. Much less noise and vibration then the ES one but still have the stiffness.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i put the prothane one in and had horrible vibrations and well my tail shaft broke on the dyno yesterday im going to check my pinion and tire balance asap to see if that could be part of the problem
Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had on the energy suspension mount on for a year, i just recently switched back to a normal mount. I could not stand the vibration.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Get your driveshaft BALANCED!

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
I had on the energy suspension mount on for a year, i just recently switched back to a normal mount. I could not stand the vibration.
The mount stiffness is not the problem - it just is an indicator of the real issue, your driveshaft is out of balance.

Please don't argue and question "How can a driveshaft go out of balance?"; just have a DS shop balance and straighten it - you'll be fine after that!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the prothane mount is doing it pretty good for me with not much noise! the vibration goes away after a few months of use on it!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Sorry for adding to an old thread, but I just put an energy suspension polly mount in to replace the stock one. The vibration is killing me!!! You say that the real problem is that my Drive shaft is out of balance and it does not have to do with the mount? If so, where can I get it fixed around North eastern Oklahoma? I live in a small town, and when I take my car to the hillbilly shops for this stuff I get laughed at, and told that wouldn't cause a problem... Any input would be great!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually if you can find a truck shop they usually can do it for $75-$100.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM
CARTEK Racing

I have had an Energy Suspensions mount for 3 or 4 years now. I honestly don't think I noticed much more vibration and noise coming from it then when I had the 3 stock ones that I BROKE!.

Dunno what to tell you...
Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the poly ones tend to transmit a bit more noise, they are not all that much louder than stock and really don't add to the vibration. I've compared stock, energy and prothane and I can tell you that the ES one is stiffer than the prothane. The ES one if installed per instructions is brutal. The preload plate with the bumps on it makes it fairly stiff. To get the ES near stock feel, you need to shave the bumps off and not use the preload plate.

The prothane one is stiffer than stock, but less than the ES mount, even modded. The design of it is different enough to give a stiffer than stock feel.

Both poly mounts will transmit noise from the transmission, if you have a built transmission it will sound more or less like a rattle when you do something like rest your hand on the shifter while driving.

Quick Reply: Want a new transmission mount, have some questions