General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant/Electralasys Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant/Electralasys Q

I've always run straight water + water wetter in my car, but theres a ton of aluminum oxydationy looking stuff always.

Yesterday I was told the orange coolant everyone makes nowadays prevents electralasys (sp) from occurring, this makes sense but can someone shed some light on this?

Grounded engine -> electricity flowing thru water -> corrosion is the theory being discussed.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dexcool....just put it in....
Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

looking for more of a real answer from someone who can explain if its true, kinda true, not true at all.

also can't run coolant at the track, so i'm trying to find alternative solutions if there is even a problem.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure about the Dex Cool, and that whole discussion is a whole other shitstorm that has been beat to death on numerous other threads.
But, I have heard that 'sacrificial electrodes' left in one's cooling system, along with using ionized water (IF you can find it) instead of the distilled water that everyone thinks is the best thing to use, really DO help with preventing electrolysis.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not use dexcool............. but if you are going to run at the track use watter wetter and some prestone anti rust additive into the water! and hopefully you are using distilled water in the process! and as for the electrolesses, i have head of very little cars with that problem, its not something to worry about if u use those additives! at the most you can ground the radiator if that works!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

wouldn't grounding the radiator create a shorter distance for some electricity by taking water-> ground? if anything i'd think to add rubber to the radiator mounts so that electricity doesn't take a path into the hoses or the radiator.

Yep, just checked email this is a good read, thanks to the boys over at Griffin Radiator for this little write-up

http://www.griffinrad.com/electrolysis.php