Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Too low now what?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too low now what?

So I bought this 02 ws6 about 4 maybe 5 months ago and it was lowered 2 inches, the ride is so horrible it bounces up and down on every tiny bump as if I had no suspension at all. Everyone notices it and its very embarassing.
I looked at the springs and shocks when I was up under there and the springs were red and the shocks were white, I looked for a brand but only found "camerra" stamp into them so I assume its just some p.o.s garbage some idiot threw on there.
I am at the point where I scrape on literally everything and I have to drive so slow and don't even talk about speed bumps because I can't make it over them.
I'm not going to do the work myself I am probably going to take it somewhere but I am wondering what a good brand/ package I should go with since we're not talking run of the mill Kia here. Also how much money is this going to run me? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

its not that hard to do it yourself. dont let it scare you. the hardest part is compressing the front spring. but most any machine shop or even parts store like R&S Strauss will do it for you fairly cheap.

i dont remember offhand what my susp. cost, but for the usual koni/strano setup, youre looking at i think a grand in parts, roughly, more or less. any place you go to will charge id say 400 to install.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get parts store stock replacement shocks for about 200 total. Plus around 250-275 for some good springs. And it's really not bad at all to do yourself. You can even rent one of those cheap spring compressors from a parts store for the front springs. On the rear all you have to do is unbolt the lower shock mounts and sway bar end links and lower the rear down...out fall the springs.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact Sam Strano on here and tell him how you will use the car and follow his advice. He will not oversell you and provides top notch advice from his experince you can find in few places. >>>>>>>>>
Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

I would have to second the koni/strano setup.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want to be lowered and have a good ride (actually better than stock on most roads) check here:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7
Very BMW-like and handles unbelievably, very predictable and you can feel what the car is doing.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Well I have long tube headers, they fit wonderfully but the merge hits on stuff.. I'm wondering if I should go back to stock height.
*car is sitting on the can LOL headers are veryyyyy close to the ground*
Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, that is pretty low

what brand of headers.

it is impossible to say if you will be alright with a less extreme lowering set up even because cars and headers vary so much.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you got stuck with some Eibach Sportlines. I am very sorry. Those springs and long tubes certainly dont mix.
I would say look into a Strano/Koni setup. I've heard nothing but great things.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you want to be lowered and have a good ride (actually better than stock on most roads) check here:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7
Very BMW-like and handles unbelievably, very predictable and you can feel what the car is doing.
not calling you out but i've seen the "bmw" reference a few times on here.
what kind of bmw are we talking about? a '92 318ti,2004 7 series, or an 08 m3? i'm open to anyone answering this.
i would recomend the strano springs. they'll bring whatever shock you get back to a heiight where they will work better, whether it be the stocks, autozones, or konis.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Strano springs with American Racing headers. So far I have not scraped on anything. I've been over speed bumps and sharp inclines coming out of parking lots, very good clearance.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

i have a very low exhaust also. i DO scrape with my susp., headers, catted Y. usually either the collect hits or one/both of the cats. my exhaust shop did a real shitty job, thats why. if you daily drive it, you might consider going back to stock height, with perhaps some stiffer rate springs and shocks. it all depends on the roads, how many driveways you go up, how many speed bumps, etc. living in NJ, if i daily drove my TA, there is no way id lower her, at all, with any kit. the roads are so shitty here, and such a variety of driveways, bumps, etc etc, id keep the stock height and live with the handling.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
not calling you out but i've seen the "bmw" reference a few times on here.
what kind of bmw are we talking about? a '92 318ti,2004 7 series, or an 08 m3? i'm open to anyone answering this.
i would recomend the strano springs. they'll bring whatever shock you get back to a heiight where they will work better, whether it be the stocks, autozones, or konis.
E36/E46.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Well if you are ever around amarillo I will do it for ya. I know its a long *** ways away from ya though
Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Launching!

lol My car is a daily driver so it goes up a lot of driveways and over speed bumps. The headers aren't any lower than my stock exhaust set up actually which is weird, they tuck up under perfectly and I scraped the **** out of my stock setup as well.
Lpp headers and Y
Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to keep it lowered, but pull it up off the bumpstops, i can recommend from personal experience that the Koni/Strano setup should work pretty well for you. i have that setup on my Z28, and i very rarely ever hit anything, and even then, it's usually just the air collector underneath the front end of the car, which i was even scraping when it was stock height.

you will love the ride/performance of it so much better, too......i do, and i daily drive mine as well.

Search this Thread