Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2 Bar Maf installation

Old 05-01-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2 Bar Maf installation

I thought I saw a post on how to install it, but coming up short in finding it again.
I search a few different ways, but nothing.

I have 12580698 Cobalt MAF and I saw something about shaving down a side of the MAF to make it fit a LS1.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MAP sensor

Do you have a 2 bar OS? If not leave the 1 bar MAP sensor in there.

You just make it look like your stocker which involves clipping off a small plastic pieces and it'll fit like a glove.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frcefed98
MAP sensor

You just make it look like your stocker which involves clipping off a small plastic pieces and it'll fit like a glove.
Yep. The stock LS1 sensor has one plastic tab on one side of the sensor, while the Cobalt SS 2-bar sensor has 2 tabs; one on each side of the sensor. Cut the extra tab from the Cobalt sensor so that it looks exactly like the LS1 sensor. The Cobalt sensor does not come with the rubber grommet between the sensor and the intake manifold. You can either carefully remove it from the stock LS1 sensor, or buy a new one from GM. Only costs a couple bucks.

Like Forcfed said, DO NOT install until you load a 2-bar operating system in the PCM. If you don't the car will run lean as a$$ and give some jacked up looking readings on the scanner. The 2-bar sensor is actually a baro sensor and the stock PCM program can't accurately use the values from it. Once you convert the PCM operating system to 2-bar SD it will work awsome
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question for me i am switching to 2 bar, i just installed my sts on the car but havent started it or anything and the tuner said they'd rather me go 2 bar so i just installed it...does the 1 bar have to be in there first before they start changing things or is it ok to just put the 2 bar in and have them change it after?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted 99 TA
quick question for me i am switching to 2 bar, i just installed my sts on the car but havent started it or anything and the tuner said they'd rather me go 2 bar so i just installed it...does the 1 bar have to be in there first before they start changing things or is it ok to just put the 2 bar in and have them change it after?
As stated above, the stock PCM operating sensor can't use the data from the 2-bar sensor. So, PUT THE STOCK ONE BACK IN. It takes literally 5 minutes to change. When you get to the tuning shop, have them flash the 2-bar operating system and install the sensor at that time.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
MAP sensor

Yes, I do.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

ok, what about the V6 Camaro MAP Sensor, will it work on my Stock LS1? because I found out it is broken and the dealership dosn't have it in my country... but some private shops have the V6 Map sensor... what do u guys think? they both say 5V on the outside, and same connector also... but Im worried that I might have the same problem that the BAR measurement is different...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wajouba
ok, what about the V6 Camaro MAP Sensor, will it work on my Stock LS1? because I found out it is broken and the dealership dosn't have it in my country... but some private shops have the V6 Map sensor... what do u guys think? they both say 5V on the outside, and same connector also... but Im worried that I might have the same problem that the BAR measurement is different...
just cross reference the part number on it with the ls1.

Search this Thread