Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1LE konis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1LE konis?

whats up everybody

i was looking around and saw that the 1le cars (in 96 i think?) came with koni double adjustables...but thats the only info i can find on them. are these essentially the same shocks that everyone is loving right now....except double adjustable? any info on them would be helpful...like if they have the lower perch for a little bit of drop....and how well they handle the drag strip, if at all....because the only track my car is likely to see is the strip.

also...anyone know if the bilsteins are back in stock yet?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

1LE Koni's don't have the lower perch, only the SA's have that. The 1LE Konis are the DA's. I have a set I picked up last year on my car in the front with regular 4th gen SA's in the rear. I only ran my car once last year but I was still pulling the same 60' times and 1/4 mile times as I did before lowering it.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Teching In

thanks...how was ride quality?

also...anyone else have some info?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Some know me around here has a Koni fan. I am, I sell a ton of them and use them myself. I'm also one of the few folks who has not only run them and most other shocks on his car, but I also have both Koni DA's and SA's. I sell 100 sets of SA's for every set of DA's because DA's are overkill in most every situation.

Owning a set of DA's, I run SA's on my car. That's a car that's won a couple SCCA National Championships even running against cars with $3,000+ sets of shocks from companies like Penske, Moton and others.

Ride quality is a combination of a lot of things, just not shocks, but shocks have the most effect. The thing is, the better the damping, the better the ride. Cars that ride really hard generally have the worst shocks, or a combination of weak shocks and too stiff springs.

Koni DA's were GM OEM starting in 1996 for 1LE cars.

They are available, but let's consider what I said already said combined with price as DA's are a lot more expensive, and not useful for most.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Sam;

What shock was standard on the 3rd gen 1LEs??

Just curious.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Sam;

What shock was standard on the 3rd gen 1LEs??

Just curious.
Just stock Delco's, 3rd gen 1LE's did not have special springs or bars that weren't also available on "standard" cars. in 1988, 4 cars had Delco valved Bilstein's, the rest of them from 89-92 were standard old, black Delco's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

are Koni's just as good on 3rd gens as 4th gens?
I need new shocks on mine and are looking at pricing...
Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just stock Delco's, 3rd gen 1LE's did not have special springs or bars that weren't also available on "standard" cars. in 1988, 4 cars had Delco valved Bilstein's, the rest of them from 89-92 were standard old, black Delco's.
Thanks for the info Sam.

It's weird that one was able to get a full delete (no radio/air/power anything) 1LE back then (almost a 'body in white'), yet they did not offer any real suspension upgrades.

Quick Reply: 1LE konis?