Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Engine input

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine input

So since my Ls1 is gone and, I have the itch to play with my other car here is what I got... I have a 63 impala with a 383 stroker that I have had problems with since day one. I’ve had it to the engine shop three times and I still get the same result. It keeps eating crank bearing. I don’t even want to get into how much aggravation it has caused me.

So I have the stock motor that the car came with which is a 283. I had it rebuilt and punched .60 over to a 292 with a mild cam stock everything else with a power glide. It ran ok kind of a dog out of the whole. So I am thinking to go the cheap way and junk the 383 and put the 292 back in. I have since up graded the trans to a th350 with a 2200 stall and a shift kit.

The 383 has a set of aluminum gmpp fast burn heads with .202 intake and .160 on the exhaust with a dual plane intake and 650 demon carb. The cam in there is a edelbrock 234/244 with 525 lift on a 112 lsa. So my question is how do you think this would perform on an engine with a about a 100 less cubic inches?

Also I was thinking of changing the cam to one of comps new ***** thumper cams, has anyone heard anything about them? Are they any good? I am just looking to get the car going for the summer any input would be helpful.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, that cam and heads would make that little cubed motor scream to the moon with no low end power.

Build another 383 with a different block and scat crake and be happy with it. Better yet, sell the heavy *** boat to some collector and get something lighter to play with.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about that but I want to drive the car for the summer. I am kind of looking for a nice cruiser now so this works for me.