Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YT rockers really that complicated to install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YT rockers really that complicated to install?

Long story short, my valves left some nice marks on my pistons - something I discovered while doing the head swap. 6 of the 8 hit the pistons, my guess maybe .010" deep. The cam was purchased as a package w/ the PRC dual valve springs (.660 max lift), titanium retainers, 7.4" pushrods etc.

The only thing I can figure is that the stock rockers were flexing as I have read is possible in one of the tech write ups. Springs were all tested and were good. I have hit the rev limiter which is set at 6800rpm.

So are the YT ultralights really that difficult to install? I am looking a the non adjustable 1.7s, but can go adjustable if needed. LS1howto has write up, then there is another thread on here that describes a different way of setting them - which seems to be way to indepth for me to attemp. I am looking to buy some soon, so any experiance or suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I am swapping the ls1 heads for stage 1 ls6 heads. The head gaskets I currently have are only .004" thicker compressed than stock, and LS7 lifters are replacing the stockers.

Thank you
Old 05-02-2008, 05:16 PM

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21
Old 05-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Sounds more like your cam was put in a few degrees off.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally wouldn't follow LS1howto. com for installation, it is not correct. The shims are to adjust wipe, not preload.

If you kissed the pistons, I wouldn't be looking at rockers to solve the problem. Flex is a relative term, and you certainly won't pick up enough to solve a PTV problem.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Sounds more like your cam was put in a few degrees off.
It's possible. I'm seeing they have a MS4 though. The amount of PTV clearance they have is relatively close if not beyond the safety margin. I guarantee tapping the limiter at 6800rpms caused the problem.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the replies. Yeah, like I said I've heard conflicting issues with the ls1howto tech write up. The write up posted in this forum is really complex though. I guess I'll just stick with the stock rockers for now and try to change my driving habits. Maybe I can get my hands on an extra set of stock rockers and send them to HS for bearing upgrades.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
Thank you for the replies. Yeah, like I said I've heard conflicting issues with the ls1howto tech write up. The write up posted in this forum is really complex though. I guess I'll just stick with the stock rockers for now and try to change my driving habits. Maybe I can get my hands on an extra set of stock rockers and send them to HS for bearing upgrades.
Are you going to check the clearance?

I remember this one company calling out one of the best known cam guys on here because he said the ptv clearance would be unacceptable.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
The write up posted in this forum is really complex though. I guess I'll just stick with the stock rockers for now and try to change my driving habits. Maybe I can get my hands on an extra set of stock rockers and send them to HS for bearing upgrades.
Most people don't realize that the stockers are not bolt ons either. Once you increase lift, you have altered the rocker wipe pattern and they should be checked as well. The YT's are easier to correct and will yield a better wipe pattern than is achievable with the stock rockers.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, yeah. I'm going to side with Beaflag & vettenuts and say the the rockers are noit the culprit here, but the huge cam you are running. If your clearance is that close now, wait til the first time you miss a shift...

Are the PRC heads you are waiting to install setup for the MS4? I would recommend that you check the PTV clearance and cut the pistons if needed for a little extra margin of safety. While you are at it, you should be able to run some thinner gaskets and get your compression closer to where it should be.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:58 PM

You can run a thinner head gasket only if you flycut the pistons.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, we are going to check PTV clearance. The heads I have are the PRC stage 1 LS6 heads, TSP recommends them for the MS4. The MLS head gasket I went with is only .004 thicker than stock, so losing static compression is not a concern.

The problem IMHO, is that my cam does exceed the safety limits of PTV clearance. SBC guys I know say no less than .080, and I think the MS4 is closer to .030.

Another problem may be that I had a shop install the cam. That in itself is not the problem, but had I knew about the need to degree a cam then, I would have paid the extra $$ for an adjustable timing chain and had it degreed. But it was never recommended.

Luckily, I have never downshifted when intending to upshift....but I have missed many shifts and hit off the rev limiter thanks to clutch/hydraulic issues.