Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR230 and ported LS6 heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TR230 and ported LS6 heads

I took my car down monday to the shop to get the cam and underdrive pulley installed. Well after work i show up that night and they have everything unbolted ready to drop the engine out of it and of course i was like wtf??? . Well they didn't know how to put the cam in with the engine in the car and thought you had to take the heads off. Then I go home and print off instructions off of ls1howto on how to do it without taking the heads off because the shop has always done awesome work on my car for good prices its just they usually dont do performance stuff and dont know all the little short cuts. Well a couple days later i go down and the heads are off the motor and I was kinda upset again but they told me it was going to take less time this way and they were having trouble with the short cuts but then he was like look at your head gaskets and one of them looked like it wasnt in such good shape and it would give out in the next few hundred miles lol. Then i was like well screw this if the heads are off I'm not putting the stock ones back on and decided to order some. Well I needed to get some pretty quick because I'm backing up their shop so Livernois was the closest place to me up in Detroit and had ported LS6 heads in stock and got them shipped out the next day. So starting monday they will be putting the heads on and getting it put all back together. My question is that im using stock lifters and mls gaskets and the heads are unmilled so will the 7.400 pushrods i got with the cam probaly work b/c I know they will check but I was just wondering. I was hoping for at least 380hp on the dyno cam only but now i think im goin to make a tad more lol. Any guesses?

btw... I'm hoping my stock tranny can handle this for a while cuz im ending up spending alot more money than i planned on and sorry for the novel
Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM
9 Second Club

Un milled heads? Yeah the 7.4's will work because nothing has changed. If your car was a six speed I would bet it would dyno over 400. Autos & dynos are very unpredictable but doesn't mean squat. I won't even dyno my car since I went t400 but it's very fast & that's all that matters to me.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Yeah i know the 230/224 really likes the stock heads because so hopefully it will like the ported ls6's. I know its not ideal for this cam and I would change it but the cam is already in and its now like the heads are going to hurt it lol. I do have 4.10's but it is through a 10 bolt so if I hit over 400 ill be happy. I did talk to my tuner and when my car had full exhaust and airlid on it dynoed 335 hp 345 tq last summer when the temperature was like 96 and the humidity was sky high on a dyno jet. Now though he dynos on one of the dyno's that you put the weight of the car in as the load or something like that so i really dont know what it will make.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youll be happy with the TR230. its a proven solid street cam. lots of guys that ran that cam all have loved it. im running the X1. its a 230/227 and im an auto also. i made 395rwhp stock heads no pulley if that helps. im also running a vig 3200 stall and 3.73 now along with a pulley. drives somewhat like stock.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Launching!

You should definately make more then 400, I know of quite a few people that have laid down over 400 (usually 415-420) w/ a Livernois stage 1 cam, and stage 1 heads. It's only a baby 224/563 cam.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

make sure they know what they are doing as far as setting up the cam, valvesprings, and torquing all the bolts to the right specs. It sounds like they really dont have a clue about working on an LS1 engine. It would suck to spend all that money and then your pisons smack your valves and bend them or have them strip out the threads on your crank b/c they try to use the stock bolt to suck on the pulley. There are lots of little things they should know before doing all of that to your motor. I would just be cautious.

Brent
Old 05-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
make sure they know what they are doing as far as setting up the cam, valvesprings, and torquing all the bolts to the right specs. It sounds like they really dont have a clue about working on an LS1 engine. It would suck to spend all that money and then your pisons smack your valves and bend them or have them strip out the threads on your crank b/c they try to use the stock bolt to suck on the pulley. There are lots of little things they should know before doing all of that to your motor. I would just be cautious.

Brent
They do a great job on all that, its just that they were following what gm said to do instead of the quicker way. I've never had any problems with anything they've done my car up to now so everything should be ok. Shouldnt be any problems on ptv clearance cuz the heads arent milled and they degreed the cam in so I feel pretty confident.

Oh and on a side note im running the stock torque arm and the front bracket was starting to bend. Has anyone else had this? I talked with them and we just decided to straighten it back out and weld the brackets together where it holds the arm and hope thats enough strength.