Sponsored by:

5.3 into Lt1 car... few accesory questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 5.3 into Lt1 car... few accesory questions

What im doing is putting a gen 3 in my 96 trans am. So for the questions

I bought a Ls1 f-body PS pump and bracket and waterpump.

Gunna be relocating the alt to the pass side head for turbo setup. Question is, is the truck tensioner and crank pulley still going to work for me? Also gunna try and use the truck alt.

I bought 97 vette fuel rails. These SHOULD be a direct fuel line hook up from what I have read. Can anyone confirm??

Also, can the truck throttle body be used on the ls1 intake??

And what do most of you all do for throttle lines??

Thanks for the help!! Been reading tons.

Nick
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Also... will my bosch 42# injectors out my old setup fit into the Ls1 intake setup? I believe they will?? Just looking for some conformation on that.

I am changing the plugs on the harness. Just need to know for physical fitment.

Thanks again

While its on my mind.... I should be able to use the stock 5.3 flexplate with a spacer to bolt to my old style converter/th350 setup right? Just need the spacer and a lil dremel work??
Old 05-04-2008, 12:28 PM
9 Second Club

Nobody???
Old 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll ned a TCI flexplate to bolt up an old style converter. Tried the spacer on my buddy's 95Z w/LS1, didn't work... by the time you get the spacer on there, the flexplate is too far from the starter, and the bolt pattern doesn't match up for the converter.

Your injectors should work fine... I don't think you should have to change the plugs, unless it's a very new 5.3 harness, but I could be wrong.

The fuel lines will hook up, but I'm pretty sure you need a new fitting to make it snap on right. Don't forget to put a regulator on there somewhere!

I don't know anything about the pulleys.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The throttle body and fuel rails should be a direct bolt on.

My guess on the throttle cable is that a 98-02 F-body LS1 one would probably fit.

No idea if the injectors will physically fit, or if the connectors are the same.

To use the spacer with the 5.3L flexplate you will have to put the spacer on behind the flywheel and then elongate the convertor bolt holes a little bit.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
You'll ned a TCI flexplate to bolt up an old style converter. Tried the spacer on my buddy's 95Z w/LS1, didn't work... by the time you get the spacer on there, the flexplate is too far from the starter, and the bolt pattern doesn't match up for the converter.

Your injectors should work fine... I don't think you should have to change the plugs, unless it's a very new 5.3 harness, but I could be wrong.

The fuel lines will hook up, but I'm pretty sure you need a new fitting to make it snap on right. Don't forget to put a regulator on there somewhere!

I don't know anything about the pulleys.
Yeah plugs on harness need to be changed. Using old style injectors from my lt1 setup.

As for the fuel rails. From what they looks like, and comparing to my old ones, they should jsut snap in and work. They are rails for a 97 vette. The first year of the c5 ls1 vette. They were still using the old style connections I believe. And with these rails they have a regulater, feed, and return line all on them. I guess they didn't move away from the return system untill the 99 year on the vettes...

Originally Posted by G-Body
The throttle body and fuel rails should be a direct bolt on.

My guess on the throttle cable is that a 98-02 F-body LS1 one would probably fit.

No idea if the injectors will physically fit, or if the connectors are the same.

To use the spacer with the 5.3L flexplate you will have to put the spacer on behind the flywheel and then elongate the convertor bolt holes a little bit.
Good to know on the TB. And good to know on the fuel rail. I was told by a few different source's they were a direct fit for my fuel lines. And that is why I payed $200 for em. They look like they will work great.

I know the connectors are different on the injectors. By a LOT. lol. But that is already taken care of. THe physical fit was what i was wondering. But sounds like they will work? Will know tomarro when I have the intake.

Finding a stock throttle cable is turning out to be kinda difficult.

The spacer was definitly a big concern. If it will work that will save me a little chunk of change.

Thanks for the help guys.... Now to figure out if the crank pulley will work or not.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Heres some good & bad news for you.

Im swapping a 5.3l into my '89 iroc, and required alot of the same changes.

The truck TB bolts up perfect to the LS1/6 intake, im using a 6 intake on my 5.3L with my truck DBW TB.

The pulley, wont work. It sits way to far forward for the f-body waterpump and acc.

The alternator, will work. Ive got f-body acc. with my truck alternator bolted in.

Injectors should work, provided you change the plug for the earlier style. I have done this for my setup.

Fuel rails will & wont work. They may plug in, but if you just plug them in, your fuel system is un-regulated. So you need to buy a regulator and have your stock lines plug into a regulator, then into the fuel rails.

hope this helps.

Sheldon
Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
Heres some good & bad news for you.

Im swapping a 5.3l into my '89 iroc, and required alot of the same changes.

The truck TB bolts up perfect to the LS1/6 intake, im using a 6 intake on my 5.3L with my truck DBW TB.

The pulley, wont work. It sits way to far forward for the f-body waterpump and acc.

The alternator, will work. Ive got f-body acc. with my truck alternator bolted in.

Injectors should work, provided you change the plug for the earlier style. I have done this for my setup.

Fuel rails will & wont work. They may plug in, but if you just plug them in, your fuel system is un-regulated. So you need to buy a regulator and have your stock lines plug into a regulator, then into the fuel rails.

hope this helps.

Sheldon
These rails DO have a regulator on them. They have a return on the rail with a regulator ON the return. This is how they appear. And S & P performance said they (97 vette rails) were a strait swap with NO modifications.

Guess i better plan on a crank pulley then... thanks!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there reasoning for swapping out all the accessories for the ls1s vs the trucks?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did not read all the post but this is from our experience with my brothers 5.3 swap into his jeep.
The LS1/6 intake with the LS6 crossover tubes installed does not work easily with the truck accessory set up. the crossover tube dumps right behind the alt bracket so you can either drill a hole in the bracket or get the nipple moved (thinking that is very difficult due to material). Also the TB hits the WP but that is pretty easy to fix, some grinding works, we also tried to turn the intake around but then you have the MAP stuff in the way.
he ended up sticking with the truck intake in his jeep but in an Fbody you will have to swap intakes and I would get the fbody accessory set up. unless this is a pure drag car and then you will not need alot of the stuff and can make custom brackets for what you want to keep.

The 5.3 truck flexplate works with a Th350/400 TC if you get the right crank spacer that goes into the end of the crank btwn it and the TC nose. we had several made for his project so the shop would make them.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragframe
Finding a stock throttle cable is turning out to be kinda difficult.
You looking for new or used?
we used a Lokar cable, I can get the part number if you need it...

Quick Reply: 5.3 into Lt1 car... few accesory questions