Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Head gasket question

I have some stock GM MLS head gaskets. I just got my motor back from the machine shop and need to check my valvetrain geometry. If I torqued the head down using the new head gasket but then took the head off, can I reuse the gasket?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard no on reusing them.
Bill
Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can't reuse it. Try to find a way to get your hands on a used gasket to use for testing. Hit up a repair or machine shop.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The motor was never fired? Chances are the gaskets are fine. How did the gaskets come off the head? If they were stuck on, even the slightest bit, you could have easily torn the rubber coating. If you very carefully inspect the black rubber for any breaks, you shoudl still be able to use them. Although, the other side of the coin is, for the 25 bucks, why take the chance. Pulling the head again because the gasket leaks is not gonna be fun.

EDIT: Whoops, I just reread. You could always hand tighten everything to mock up, and just subtract .007 for the amount the gaskets will crush with a proper torque. But like the others sai, using the old gaskets and bolts is probably the best idea.