Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo 5.3L - Need help with turbo & Head selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 5.3L - Need help with turbo & Head selection

Hey Everyone.

Im looking into boosting my 5.3L LM7 in my '89 iroc-z.

Im undecided momentarily on whether to go TT or Single turbo.

Ive been looking at the T-70 Turbo, as theres a few guys on TGO running one of them through a TPI 350, and making 600ish hp.

My HP goals are 475 - 550rwhp. Ive got a 2000 F-body cam in my 5.3L, im hoping thats a bit better then the stock one was, and ive got an LS6 intake on it. Ive got billet fuel rails, and would be picking up some SVO 30lb injectors.

Would the T-70 be sufficient for a single turbo setup? If i were to opt for a Twin turbo setup, would the T-70 be better off in that situation?

The T-70 im lookin into:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-Su...m140230038659&

My last question, im planning on changing the heads up to lower the compression ration. I could either go for LS6 heads to lower it, or 241 casting LS1 heads. Which would be best bang for 'yur buck? Would the 241 casting heads do just as well in a boosted setup as 243's and save me money?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No No No! That sir is not a turbo. It's a MISTAKE! It was originally meant to be warn with a chain around your neck Flav-O-Flav style.

Seriously though, it's a junk turbo. It is not a 70mm turbo and only has a T-3 inlet. If it doesn't fly apart in the first week it still would be nowhere near large enough to support your motor. A true quality 70mm turbo would be plenty for your goals. Look for one with a T-4 inlet and a .96 A/R hot side if using for a front mount set-up.

As far as the heads go, you need the 317 castings off a 6.0L. They have the larger chambers to drop your compression and still retain the LS6 style ports and runners.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
No No No! That sir is not a turbo. It's a MISTAKE! It was originally meant to be warn with a chain around your neck Flav-O-Flav style.

Seriously though, it's a junk turbo. It is not a 70mm turbo and only has a T-3 inlet. If it doesn't fly apart in the first week it still would be nowhere near large enough to support your motor. A true quality 70mm turbo would be plenty for your goals. Look for one with a T-4 inlet and a .96 A/R hot side if using for a front mount set-up.

As far as the heads go, you need the 317 castings off a 6.0L. They have the larger chambers to drop your compression and still retain the LS6 style ports and runners.
He has a 5.3. Ain't those 9.5/1 compression stock anyways?? No real need to go less compression than that.

And jsut spend good money ($1000) on a name brand turbo. Like a T-netics Tc series
Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys!

Definately saved my *** on that turbo

Yeah, im using a 5.3L, their about 9.5:1. Wasnt sure if id be safer to run say LS6 heads, take the drop in compression so i could run more boost, but also would have larger valves and better ports.

Im going to go single turbo, and ill fabricate myself custom turbo headers because truck manifolds hit the subframes in a thirdgen.

Going to do cruch some numbers to figure injector size, and things like that. Then try to get an approximate total.

Im hoping if i fabricate headers & plumbing thats capable enough, then a couple years down the road, ill pony up a LSX block & build a real motor for some real boost.

Sheldon
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a stock 5.3 shortblock in my car with 317 6L heads. Compression I figured out to be about 8.6:1 and I run 15psi of boost on pump gas with no issues. Only thing it has is a 224/224 .580/.580 112 cam and a vic jr intake.
MPGT-45 turbo. It makes aprox 600rwhp, maybe a little more.
This was all done very cheap. 60lbs injectors I used. Had 42s but maxed them out. This combo is a sure cost effective way to make power. A $500 engine and runs pretty good for what it is.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the input guys, any other thoughts on the heads?