Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Engine? Short Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Engine? Short Block

Well it appears I may be scrapping my motor and I will most likely be looking for a short block.
I will be on somewhat of a budget depending on what my warranty company gives me for my motor.
What short block would you recommend that isn't rediculously expensive. I don't want a huge stroker motor because remember I will be most likely reusing my heads.
I was thinking the ARE346 short block and going with the upgraded rods and main bolts. Any other suggestions?
My plans are either to run a turbo down the road or spray a 200 shot on it. Or atleast a 150 if I don't do a Turbo...
Your recommendations would be appreciated
Old 08-05-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: What Engine? Short Block

Upgraded main and rod bolts are a good idea. I would also get headstuds. (No more buying new head bolts whenever you pull the heads) Plus they will handle lots of abuse
Chris
Old 08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I was in your position 9 months ago and went with the ARE shortblock. I upgraded the main studs i stood with the stock rods to save money because from what i was told the stock rods are good for 600 horsepower. I had some issues with my motor had to send it back to ARE and they took good care of me in the end. Quick turn around on the motor also. I also ordered mine minus the cam and they will credit you some money if you choose to go that way. I'm hoping to be driving my new motor this weekend
Old 08-05-2003, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

DAMN!! Nice...
I have a cam already so I will also be credited for the cam if I choose to go with this motor. Are you planning on running a shot on it or some boost? Just curious! Is this motor supposed to dyno around the same a stock LS1 block or less? Just curious I am thinking since a Turbo is costly I may just run the cam and big shot! We will see....
Old 08-05-2003, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Futral Motorsports a call also. Allan will customize a shortblock to suit your needs. His prices are some of the best I have found.

Im currently running an FMS 346 solid roller. I have over 2000 miles on it with NO ISSUES at all making 473rwhp. I am having a TNT direct port plumbed as we speak for a 250 shot also. Allan also gives a 1 year warranty on his motors with no power adder. Just food for thought. Goodluck
Old 08-05-2003, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

DAMN!! Nice...
I have a cam already so I will also be credited for the cam if I choose to go with this motor. Are you planning on running a shot on it or some boost? Just curious! Is this motor supposed to dyno around the same a stock LS1 block or less? Just curious I am thinking since a Turbo is costly I may just run the cam and big shot! We will see....
I'm planning on running a 200 shot in the future, I dont expect the block to make anymore power over a Stock LS1 the only difference is the pistons.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Nice so you can run a 200 shot easily on the ARE 346 Street Eliminator? That is what I was hoping for..
Old 08-05-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I wouldnt say easily, I plan on using a progressive controller and having it properly tuned for the nitrous shot.