Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership!!!!! Help please!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stealership!!!!! Help please!

Story. I overrevved my car a couple weeks back. It wasn't a mechanical overrev. I missed forth and hit the gas while the car was still in neutral. I swapped all the pushrods as I had two bent. Put everything back together and the SES light was on solid. I drove it around and didn't seem to have any problems but the light wouldn't go off and would flash at idle. I took it to the dealership. They pulled the valve covers off and checked the pushrods and said none were bent again. They said that I had a vacuum leak from the EVAP hose. They replaced that. They said the metal tube that goes in the top of the intake behind the throttle body was bent and also not sealing properly so they fixed that. They also performed a leakdown test and said that cylinder 7 was about 20psi low. They cleared all the codes and took it for a test drive and said everything was good and there were no more misfires at idle so I picked it up. Drove it home and let it idle for about 2 minutes in my drive and the damn SES light came back on. I took it back and they are pulling the valve cover off again on the driver side to check things. They said I may have a bent valve and they want over 2,000.00 to pull the heads and check it. I'm not going to let them do that. I need some more advice as to what it could be. I have no loss of power. If it was a valve wouldn't it be knocking or ticking and the engine be sputtering or something.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

First thing you need to do is get the car scanned and post up the code(s).
Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"If it was a valve wouldn't it be knocking or ticking and the engine be sputtering or something. "

The engine is doing something.....
Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

The original codes were P0300 for random misfires.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by heavymetals
"If it was a valve wouldn't it be knocking or ticking and the engine be sputtering or something. "

The engine is doing something.....
But the car seems to run fine. No loss of power.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do your own leakdown test, screw them they will tell you anything to make a buck. Of course i've never trusted any mechanics shop, bc as I said they will do anything to make a buck. So do your own compression and leakdown test. Which I think it was you who I told to do this last time. So if this is the same guy then quit making new damn threads and do what were telling you. All were trying to do is help to find out what the problem is, and a leakdown test will tell you exactly that. If you have a bent valve then you will hear it. It bad rings you will hear it.

I believe we told you not to take it to the stealership and its for this exact reason. They always seem to have it fixed and yet the problem comes right back as soon as you get back home.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bjamick
Do your own leakdown test, screw them they will tell you anything to make a buck. Of course i've never trusted any mechanics shop, bc as I said they will do anything to make a buck. So do your own compression and leakdown test. Which I think it was you who I told to do this last time. So if this is the same guy then quit making new damn threads and do what were telling you. All were trying to do is help to find out what the problem is, and a leakdown test will tell you exactly that. If you have a bent valve then you will hear it. It bad rings you will hear it.

I believe we told you not to take it to the stealership and its for this exact reason. They always seem to have it fixed and yet the problem comes right back as soon as you get back home.
It may have been me as this is an ongoing issue. I would love to do the leakdown test myself however I don't work on cars. The only reason why I did the pushrods is because all you have to do is loosen some bolts.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lcars
It may have been me as this is an ongoing issue. I would love to do the leakdown test myself however I don't work on cars. The only reason why I did the pushrods is because all you have to do is loosen some bolts.
Performing the leakdown test is not that difficult, and you have to pull the heads for a bent valve, thats not too bad either. Hell, buy some beer, pizza and have some local F-body guys over to help.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take it to get a second opinion. Thats the only advice I can give you if you don't work on cars.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=lcars;9300391]Story. I overrevved my car a couple weeks back. It wasn't a mechanical overrev. I missed forth and hit the gas while the car was still in neutral.....QUOTE]

isn't that what the rev limiter is for?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

You would think wouldn't you. I dont know. Its never been tuned to have the limiter removed so I don't see how it happened either.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lcars
You would think wouldn't you. I dont know. Its never been tuned to have the limiter removed so I don't see how it happened either.
yea i kno, that was a serious question
Old 05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

I know you were being serious. Sorry if what i said didn't come out right. But yeah, I'm not too happy about this whole situation. The dealership is ****ing me over I just want to drive my car.

Last edited by lcars; 05-05-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something does not seem right here...
Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go and buy these parts here. It will help save you money. Its really not that difficult.
http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc3.shtml
Old 05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
Something does not seem right here...
You're telling me. If it was a valve why would the light only come on at idle. The light only coming on at idle is what is confusing me.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

flashing SES is usually a missfire. bent valve is gonna make lots of noise and would most likely cause some sputtering.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
flashing SES is usually a missfire. bent valve is gonna make lots of noise and would most likely cause some sputtering.
Exactly. The car isn't sputtering. The car isn't making any knocking or ticking. Would a bent valve cause a misfire?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long were you on the rev limiter? Do you remeber what RPM the motor was at while over revving?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
How long were you on the rev limiter? Do you remeber what RPM the motor was at while over revving?
I wasn't on the limiter very long. Maybe a couple of seconds. Not sure what RPM the motor was at as its been nearly a month since it happened. After it happened though I instantly heard the bent pushrods ticking.

Search this Thread