Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

does anyone know how i would convert to Power windows/locks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone know how i would convert to Power windows/locks

i have a 98 firebird with manual windows/locks and i have 2 doors with power windows/locks and they worked great when i took them off the donor car. I just dont know how to wire them up. i dont know where to begin. if theres ever been any articles on how to do this then please post it. i'm not interested in buying an aftermarket power window kit. i want to use the extra set of doors i have.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered this kit about 7 years ago and it rocks! The windows go up and down faster then the OEM motors and have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=GM70-K

They also have a harness that allows you to use the factory switch panel for a complete OEM look.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

The install was pretty straight forward and worked flawlessly. You basically drill out the old crank mechanism, bolt the new motors in, and run the wiring. The only thing extra that you would need is to either find a used window switch panel or buy a new one outright.

To cover up the holes in the side panels I just reupholstered them with dark grey vinyl replacing the factory carpet ones with the window crank hole in it.

-B
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

WOW, That is a nice kit.

It is about double the price of what you would pay for bone yard stuff. Yet, it looks like it is way better.

I say worth the extra 100 or so Bucks.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Teching In

You wouldnt happen to have a better walkthrough of how to install this system do you? Like does this kit just bolt up easy or do you have to make holes for it to mount up?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

You just bolt it up....really.... changing spark plugs on a LT1 or LS1 is WAAAAAAAY more difficult than installing the power windows.

-B