Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best LT fitment? ARH or Kooks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best LT fitment? ARH or Kooks?

I'm not buying headers right now, but I probably will be sometime in the near future.
If I don't go the "budget" way (Pacesetters), I'll be going with ARH or Kooks.

My car is lowered a little in the rear, and if I ever lower it more... it won't be much. As for exhaust, I'll be going with True Duals or keeping my SLP Dual/Dual w/ the catted Y. Probably the latter for now, until I can afford the True Duals. Also, I have SLP subframes.

Anyhow, I just want to know your thoughts about these 2 brands of headers (between ARH and Kooks)... which one fits best? I hear/found stuff that says Kooks is good, but don't see too much about ARH.

Have any of you owned BOTH brands? If so, I'd love to hear which one was best for you.

and Choco, please don't bring your favorite 3 letter acronym in here...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

I'm dropped almost 2" and have had Kooks for years, no issues. ARH is a former Kooks employee who copied alot of the design. So they are both good. IMO Kooks has the years behind them, so go for those.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks... I think I'll probably go that route (Kooks), just wanted some more input. Interesting fact about ARH being formed by a previous Kooks employee.... that's capitalism right there buddy haha.

Anyone else?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Kooks and I am really happy with them.You cant go wrong with a set of those.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going TD's it doesn't much matter but if you are going Y pipe ARH will have a little more clearance. ARH has a beautiful HVMC with a velocity spike so I think they have KOOKs there by a little too. Anyway, these are the top two IMO and you'll be happy with either.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
I'm dropped almost 2" and have had Kooks for years, no issues. ARH is a former Kooks employee who copied alot of the design. So they are both good. IMO Kooks has the years behind them, so go for those.
SSNISTR, You are totally incorrect with your statement that we copied another brand. Our headers are not based on the Grott design from long ago. The ARH system is 100% unique. We started with a clean sheet of paper which is how we approach everything we do. Take a minute and look at the differences between us and what others have done and you'll see what I mean. Thanks.

Nick
A.R. Headers
Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks are great headers great fit to and ARH headers or great headers to I would try and find the best deal out of the 2.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Default check out the QTP

i have the qtp's and for 650.00 you cant beat polished stainless steel, i love them.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by A. R. HEADERS
SSNISTR, You are totally incorrect with your statement that we copied another brand. Our headers are not based on the Grott design from long ago. The ARH system is 100% unique. We started with a clean sheet of paper which is how we approach everything we do. Take a minute and look at the differences between us and what others have done and you'll see what I mean. Thanks.

Nick
A.R. Headers

totally agree, arh headers r the best in my opinion, i installed them 2 weeks ago, by myself most of it, great product no issues here
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

I changed plugs on a guys car that has ARH's and they looked real nice,and seemed to have a good bit of clearance but I havent ever owned any.

just my 2 cents but I like the pacesetters myself.. not only do they fit damn good they are reasonably priced and the quality is right up there with the rest..

I just helped my buddy put slp's on his SS and they hang down crazy low to the ground
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

I have ARH and can say that they are awesome!!!!!! They slid right in like butter! They were soooooo easy to install! Not a single issue with their headers. Top quality welds and they look awesome. I will buy from ARH again if I even need another set.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys, after looking and searching quite a bit today... I found that basically everyone who owns Kooks or ARH is happy.

In regards to ARH, I found that multiple LS1tech'ers posted something to the effect of "They were the easiest headers I've ever installed."
And Nick, thanks for clearing that up... I had no idea. It's easy to see how stuff gets spread from word of mouth.

Unfortunately both brands are a little too expensive right now, but I'll keep saving for something... and I'll post pictures when I get them!

Last edited by sschkade; 05-07-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

+1 for the ARH....installed them a couple weeks ago and had zero installation problems.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
+1 for the ARH....installed them a couple weeks ago and had zero installation problems.
+2, mine went in easy.

I don't have experience with Kooks but from the pics I've seen, the ARH merge on the y pipe is much better looking.

The HVMC's should help too,
Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+3 ARH fit the best of any LSx Ive installed.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

My ARH's would not install with the aftermarket Powermaster starter I had, which meant I had an unexpected $200 expense to buy another starter on the spur of the moment. The design appears to hug the block instead of the engine bay and thus when my friend Robert dropped the motor out the bottom a few weeks ago he had some problems that he didn't have with the previous Grot design. He indicated he would never buy the ARH design as a result.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
My ARH's would not install with the aftermarket Powermaster starter I had, which meant I had an unexpected $200 expense to buy another starter on the spur of the moment. The design appears to hug the block instead of the engine bay and thus when my friend Robert dropped the motor out the bottom a few weeks ago he had some problems that he didn't have with the previous Grot design. He indicated he would never buy the ARH design as a result.

I think this is the first negative post I have ever read on ARH
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Well I'm pretty sure ARH didn't design the headers with an aftermarket starter in mind....not their fault.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

I love my KOOKS
Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I think this is the first negative post I have ever read on ARH
Really? Never read a post by ChacoTaco, eh? I like them, don't get me wrong, but I didn't care for the surprises. Especially when the Grot header (designed when, in 1999?) didn't have the problems and that was very early in the LS1's development cycle.

Quick Reply: Best LT fitment? ARH or Kooks?