Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS install started, finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS install started, finally!

Well, I spent the last couple weeks tearing the car apart. I'm making decent progress for working solo on jack stands.

The basics:
Forged LS2 (Weber Racing short)
~8.65 compression with LS6 heads and Wiseco 25cc dish
Lonnies double pumper, mototron 60 lb
12-bolt, 3.42

Right now, the car's guts are in the garage and the body is sitting on stands in the driveway. The rear end, fuel tank, engine, and trans are all out.

Today, I pulled the engine cross-member and installed the BMR piece. Actually installing something felt pretty good, since up til now it's been all disassembly.

The fuel pumps from Lonnie should be here in a couple days, and I've got my new carrier and gears from Jaws. So I'll probably get that stuff put back into the car next. Then build up the shortblock and get hammering inside the engine bay.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you take out enigne out top or bottom.? I am still debating as have no overhead and also doing it in my garage. I bought cherry picker .

Not following on k member .Don't you put it in after the new engine is in?Mabye some pics would help.
I am so hyper to do my car but at same time dreading taking apart a perfectly good running car. What keeps me going would be thought of having basically unlimited power compared to the near stock power have currently. I realize after the install of the new 408 and twin kit the car will be traction limited not power limited and that is a nice place to be for an old speed freak like me.

Good luck and be nice to see another APS car done.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Out the top. I did all the prep work, then had a buddy help me pull it. Engine and trans come out together. Hood was already off. One guy pulling the hoist back and watching the top, one guy with a trans jack underneath. As soon as it lifts off the trans jack, both guys work up top until it's out. Just set your chain to get a big angle on the powertrain and use the weight of the trans to counter-balance. Tape a plastic bag to the tailshaft as a fluid colostemy bag!

With the engine out of the car, the k-member is a piece of cake. I swapped it last night by myself. Just used my trans jack and a piece of plywood to balance the BMR and lift it into place. I'll get a little more done tomorrow night, but Red Wings and Tiger tickets are eating up my time. . .
Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

The T56 is pretty damn easy to take off. I would probbaly take the trans off 1st and then pull the engine out of the top.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats the way I did it (pulled the trans first) cool that it worked for you though.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think that you will be able to get it back in through the top with the turbo manifolds in place, and they are a pretty hard to install with the K member in place.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM
9 Second Club

you need to rethink the way your doing this install you are setting your self for failer not trying to be N- but it does not sound good from this end those turbos added to the engine is going to make your life hell going in from the top the bottom is your best bet sorry
Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get the motor in the the top with turbos on. PM superman09 if you have questions because this is the way he did his. I work in Madison Heights so maybe I'll see you around sometime.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 PM
9 Second Club

im from saline, MI you did it from the top how did that go was it hard, and was it faster that way
Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He DID not do it from the top with the turbo's in place. He dropped the motor in from the top with NO K-member in place, bolted on the manifolds from underneath, THEN installed the k-member. Sorry man but you might as well uninstall the k-member, or at least unbolt one side and loosen the other to drop it down. I think you can install one of the manifolds with the k-member and motor in place but I'm not not 100% sure.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Will do, I'll keep you posted
Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

haha this is funny. concept helped me do this and he doesnt even remember what we did. SStolen is right. I yank the motor and dropped new motor in the top...... this was with no k-member in place, i then mounted the tranny, hung the turbos on the motor with it somewhat in place but not mounted (Held up by cherry picker). Then mounted up the k-member and motor to K. Hope this helps. Doing a motor and aps kit at the same time, i would pull both out bottom and have it all assembled out of car and put it back in threw bottom like what Kaliente did.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

Where are the PICS!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on starting. Sounds like a nice set-up. Can't wait to see it around. And if you need any help just ask. There are a bunch of us local around here. And keep us appeased with pics!

Quick Reply: APS install started, finally!