General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Injector Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Injector Leak

Can someone tell me where to locate the fuel injector on a 98-02 TA? I want to inspect it for leaks. I discovered black powder on my new spark plugs, and I read that running on "rich fuel" could cause this. The possible causes for rich fuel include a bad O2/coolant sensor or a leaky fuel injector. And since I don't have a code for a bad sensor but do have the P0442, the injector is the prime suspect.

Is the injector monitored by the emissions evap system and capable of releasing the P0442 code?

If it were oil being consumed, would you get the same black powder on the plugs? If so, how can you detect whether your engine is burning up oil?

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 05-06-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well...which side plugs were dirty?...you also have 8 injectors...not one...so its not so simple to leak test them by yourself...it sounds like you have a bad o2 sensor by it running rich or you have a intake/exhaust leak...oils not going to leave that on your plugs...thats carbon
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is is running badly -backfires etc a weak spring on your valves might be the oil culprit possibly (usually have a flashing check engine light when that happens though which is um really bad. - fuel injectors attach on the fuel rail on top of your air intake. An eletrical plug held in by a thin metal clip that you pull out sideways disconnect that then gently wiggle the injector out. Not difficult at all the injector has an o - ring at the base to keep fuel from leaking out and debris from going in. Hope that helps some.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad O2 sensor
Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Damn. I didn't know there were 8.

It was actually just one plug that I found (so far--only checked driver's side) excessive carbon on it--the #3 (or second from the front on driver's side) plug. I can't be sure if some of it got on there when I asked the mechanic to remove and inspect the gap when he was changing the wires, but that'll be the one I want to monitor. I didn't think it was the sensors because I don't have a code for any of them, just the P0442. But just in case, where would the O2/coolant sensor be located?

As for performance, I'm not sure if it's backfires I'm experiencing, but I do get occasional exhaust pops on startup only (never when driving). I inquired about it in another thread on this forum. That's the whole reason I got into the plugs--so I could check the gaps to see if that might be causing the pops.

Since the fuel injectors are on top, would a leaking injector give obvious signs, such as a scent or visual leak? Could a mere pressure leak cause the buildup of carbon?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

I just took a look on eBay and I see they have some cheap ones listed along with expensive ones. I also found ones designated for the front and rear. Would my bad sensor be at the front or rear?

Is there also a sensor for each cylinder, or just one?