Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory PCM problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory PCM problem

I have a 2000 Trans am which has recently failed the computer scan emissions test. It came up with a code P0412, IE the air pump isn't turning on (or off). My mechanic looked into it and found that the ground for the air pump in the PCM isn't working. So apperantly I need a new PCM, which will end up running me $900 (canadian).

This sounds like a load of crap for a system that dosn't do a whole lot in the first place. Needless to say I will NOT be buying another factory PCM. Espescially seeing as I am working on an new engine build for this summer.

SO my questions are:

1. Is this a load of BS in the first place? The car allways ran fine.

2. Will aftermarked PCMs be able to run emissions equipment for these computer tests? (what are my options for aftermarked PCMs?)

3. Couldn't I just tune this code out with HP tuners and then pass aircare? It makes that sensor's readieness monitor show up as "not ready" right?

4. Any other ideas as to how I could solve this problem, without moveing somewhere without aircare?

A BIG thanks to those with some answers!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a new mechanic. The US list price from a GM dealer is $305.41, even with the markup for Canada it wouldn't even be close to $900. PN 09354896, it is a factory replacement Remanufactured computer. All the shop would have to do is flash the latest cal into the PCM and you are done.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I removed my AIR and tuned it out w/ HP tuners. I don't remember the readiness status, but I've always passed insp. +1 on above, those prices seem out of wack.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Soul Crusher
I have a 2000 Trans am which has recently failed the computer scan emissions test. It came up with a code P0412, IE the air pump isn't turning on (or off). My mechanic looked into it and found that the ground for the air pump in the PCM isn't working. So apperantly I need a new PCM, which will end up running me $900 (canadian).

This sounds like a load of crap for a system that dosn't do a whole lot in the first place. Needless to say I will NOT be buying another factory PCM. Espescially seeing as I am working on an new engine build for this summer.

SO my questions are:

1. Is this a load of BS in the first place? The car allways ran fine.

2. Will aftermarked PCMs be able to run emissions equipment for these computer tests? (what are my options for aftermarked PCMs?)

3. Couldn't I just tune this code out with HP tuners and then pass aircare? It makes that sensor's readieness monitor show up as "not ready" right?

4. Any other ideas as to how I could solve this problem, without moveing somewhere without aircare?

A BIG thanks to those with some answers!
I really do not see the ground failing in the PCM

If for some strange reason the PCM was bad, you can get a used one in the 75-100$ range, 900 is a complete ripoff (even in canadian dollars)