Sponsored by:

Internal Engine for Dumbies ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Internal Engine for Dumbies ?

Alright guys.

I feel its time for me to learn some about the Internals of LS1s and like motors.

I have no idea .. about anything.. no idea about compression .. no idea about cam sizes .. no idea about heads.. nothing

I was wondering of a writeup exists explaining every aspect of the internals of the LS1 engine .. or if someone would be willing to write this?

The reason is -- I want to have heads/cam work done -- but I really don't know anything about it.. and before I go letting someone choose what I put in the car and choose the person to do the work, I'd like to understand everything about it.

Thanks a lot.

::Austin::
Old 08-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Internal Engine for Dumbies ?

The Idaho Corvette page has a lot of good info on the stock LS1 and LS6. You're already in the right place to learn about all the aftermarket parts. Just ask some more specific questions; nobody wants to sit down and write you a book.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest going to Barnes & Noble or your local book store and pickup up a book on how to rebuild a Small Block Chevy and/or a book on how to modify a Small Block Chevy. The reason is that the same general rules apply to all V-8's. The 40+ years of experience and improvements with the SBC is the information that GM used to design the LS1/LS6 engines. It will also give you a greater respect for the LS1/LS6's improvements.

The only book about the LS1/LS6 is by Chris Endres and is titled "Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance" ISBN number 1-55788-407-2 it is published by HP Books. This book assumes that you already have a working knowledge of the internal combustion engine and only describes the LS1/LS6 and some of its aftermarket parts. It is a good read though with useful information.

There is one thing though don't get caught up in the particulars until you have a basic grasp of how and why and engine functions. The camshaft in particular can be very confusing to a beginner and is still confusing for many "experts" so just try to understand what it does and then when you can fully grasp that move on to the specifics of the camshaft.

Maybe someone can recommend a book that they might have bought and learned from.

Later,
Bart
Old 08-06-2003, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

try visiting www.howstuffworks.com and click under "auto" and then click on "under the hood" on the left side of the screen. It shows the basics of things like cams, pushrods, and how they function etc..
Old 08-06-2003, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k thanks.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i went and bought chris endres' book .. and am going to do some reading on combustion engines on the net. thanks for the help

::Austin::
Old 08-06-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the idea Austin, maybe we'll start working on something

J.