Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No more piston slap

Wassup guys! jus got my car back today from the dealership and no sound of piston slap . all in all they changed o-ring in oil pump, lifters, and bought tr cam package and wahlaaa no more freakin annoying piston slap.The tech pulled and tear apart the motor to check pistons and grooves in cylinders. all ok. all i can say is the tech that worked on mah car is bad ***, did all this within 8 hours.

but one thing my ses light is on now, P0300 (engine misfire detected) guys wit tr224 cam u guys have any problems wit this code when cam was put in? if so pls reply wit wat ever info u got. im guessing could be bad connections from spark plug wires. would love to bring it back to the dealers but they booked till next week. so guys pls reply asap. thanks in advanced
Old 08-06-2003, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

Default Re: No more piston slap

So it was lifter noise ? P0300 is guaranteed with that size of a cam. The cure is tuning and slight tweaking of misfire detection parameters.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Almost everyone gets the 0300 code when they go to an aftermarket cam setup. Just have the misfire test 'de-sensitized' with LS1Edit.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've got the TR230 cam and i've never gotten the misfire code, I do get the P0106(MAP range/performance) code all the time though from when it sits at idle too long. Maybe it needs a bigger hole in the throttle body or something to fix it
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know how you feel, I love the sound of my car soooo much more now with out that anoying so called piston slap (is what the dealer called it), I had a tick,tick,tick sound from my valve train and slowly went away untill my car got good and hot, I took it back three times for that anoying sound, My piston slap turned out to be what I beleve my stock lifters, I changed them out during my cam install(basic TR cam package with some extra's) and put in comp R's lifters and now I have no problems with so called piston slap. P.S. my stock push rods checked out good.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

yeah the only thing i hear now is the valve train. like chris said sounds like a sewing machine. lbc ss, u dint have any ses after cam was put on, wat size cam u got? does have a hard time starting and idling @ first start?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah the only thing i hear now is the valve train. like chris said sounds like a sewing machine. lbc ss, u dint have any ses after cam was put on, wat size cam u got? does have a hard time starting and idling @ first start?
I do have the sewing sounding valve train now but I't sounds much better than Tick,tick,tick at idle and the diesle sounding motoring during acceleration, I did throw a SES code after my TR224/224/112 cam install, The SES code was P0300, With LS1 edit I went into the mifire detection and changed all tables to 32000 in the (idle by cylinder) tables and 32000 In the(low RPM by cylinder tables) and no more SES codes! If anyone found a better way of editing these tables please chime in. I also had a problem with hot starts, With LS1 edit in the main VE tables I multiplied all tables 1200 down to 400 by 80%, I have yet to fine tune this but It's worked really well so far.