General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default battery problem

I don't know if this is in the right section, if not please move. I have a 2000 camaro ss. i bought a brand new optima yellow top battery and it lasted 8 months then my car wouldnt crank. after charging the battery, it worked fine for a while then i went on a trip for about a week then came back and the car wouldnt crank. took it to auto zone and chevy dealer but they dont see where its draining from. it seems like its draining when the car is off. anybody have this similar problem? i really appreciate it guys - lil bit
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Get a voltmeter that can measure DC amps. Connect it between your battery-post and the battery cable (i.e, disconnect the cable).

It should now show how much amperage your car is leaking. Some leakage is normal (to keep the PCM&BCM alive, etc), but it should only be a few hundred milli-amps.
If it's more than that, remove the fuses from your fuse-boxes one at a time until you find what is leaking current. This should give you a better indication of where to look for wires with poor insulation, etc.

However, if your car simply isn't leaking current, it might as well be your alternator going bad, leading to it not charging the battery enough.

AutoZone does free checks of alternators. Don't know if they need you to take if out of the car to chech it or not.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

ive been disconnecting the battery everytime i park for more than an hour at a time sometimes 3 times a day. would that cause a problem to my car after a while?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Get you alternator checked out first. Why would you disconnect your battery 3 times a day?