Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to do free mods this weekend and have a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going to do free mods this weekend and have a couple of questions

I picked up a brass 5/16" barbed fitting to do the TB coolant line bypass. Where do I get a 160 thermostat and does anyone have a part number? I know it won't be like it should until I get a program but should help for now. I also want to do the smooth bellow (Fernco) TB mod. Is the correct size 3.5"? I couldn't locate one yesterday at the hardware store. It goes 3" and 4". I have an air-lid so anything else I can do this weekend while I am dirty?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stat should be available from sponsors or Summit or Jegs. i think they make the stat alone now...instead of requireing the entire housing.

the bellows mod is a waste of time. its a visual mod only...and has lead to the cracking of Lids due to no flex when the motor twists up.

pull the TB and port it, and make sure the bump stop is correct and you're getting full 90* opening on the TB blade
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.installuniversity.com

They have a ton of great write ups, with part numbers and pictures. Very informative.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The thermostat you should be able to find a sponser =====> that carries them or Jegs or Summit works.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That bump stop one seems a little weird too. I don't think a gain is to be had in the slight angle increase you do by grinding. That air will still make it through the opening just fine or has someone documented a gain?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
9 Second Club

my frenco if i can remember is 3X3. If you cut it right itll be fine. Thermostat you can get from like summit or jegs or like SLP or something. If you want your can take out your AIR and EGR
Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

I picked up a brass 5/16" barbed fitting to do the TB coolant line bypass. Where do I get a 160 thermostat and does anyone have a part number? I know it won't be like it should until I get a program but should help for now. I also want to do the smooth bellow (Fernco) TB mod. Is the correct size 3.5"? I couldn't locate one yesterday at the hardware store. It goes 3" and 4". I have an air-lid so anything else I can do this weekend while I am dirty?
The fernco mod like stated before it makes your lid fit like crap and will eventually crack your lid. Personally, I'm not a big fan of some of the free mods. If you insist on doing them though, i can give you some recommendations. TB Bypass, screw the brass barb fitting.....get a couple feet of 5/16's fuel line and 2 clamps instead then connect point A to point B. Fueline is cheap and can be had at any auto parts store. 160 thermostat, waste of money and doesn't do nothing until you get your fan temps lowered, even then no gains really from it. LS1's make maximum power at around 200-210 deg. so stick with the stock one. Ported TB with bumpstop mod is definately worth it....you will feel something from it and has been dyno proven to give about 10hp. Free Ram Air....some people love it some hate it, it has shown on test's that airflow is somewhat improved however IAT temps go wacky when sitting still in traffic which causes timing issue's....IMO better to spend some $$$ and get FTRA kit and do it right.

Last edited by miamifan3413; 05-08-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bump stop does work as when you stomp the throttle it is open 100% . though as said above you got to amke sure you do not go past the 90 degree because it will throw a code . i think the easiest way to find it is 100% open is to read the voltage off the tps sensor unless you have autotap .
Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess im dong free mods this weekend too
Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
The fernco mod like stated before it makes your lid fit like crap and will eventually crack your lid. Personally, I'm not a big fan of some of the free mods. If you insist on doing them though, i can give you some recommendations. TB Bypass, screw the brass barb fitting.....get a couple feet of 5/16's fuel line and 2 clamps instead then connect point A to point B. Fueline is cheap and can be had at any auto parts store. 160 thermostat, waste of money and doesn't do nothing until you get your fan temps lowered, even then no gains really from it. LS1's make maximum power at around 200-210 deg. so stick with the stock one. Ported TB with bumpstop mod is definately worth it....you will feel something from it and has been dyno proven to give about 10hp. Free Ram Air....some people love it some hate it, it has shown on test's that airflow is somewhat improved however IAT temps go wacky when sitting still in traffic which causes timing issue's....IMO better to spend some $$$ and get FTRA kit and do it right.

IAT temps go wacky? anybody else have this problem? i never heard of it