Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone ever tapped their bellhousing bolt threads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever tapped their bellhousing bolt threads?

Hey guys we did a clutch on my roommates car not to long ago and at the time it was already missing 3 bolts that mate the trans to the bellhousing and it appears that they are stripped out. Yes I know I was like wtf!? On top of that his pilot bearing was also installed *** backwards! Anyways, I realize how soft the aluminum is on the housing so I'm sure somebody else has stripped these things but has anybody actually retapped or had a machine shop retap there threads? If so how hard or how much did it run you?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Probably the only thing that you may be able to do is heli coil it. Either that or have a good welding shop weld in the holes and redrill and tap them. You'd have to be really carefly not to warp the bell though
Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

like said above, i would heli coil it. one of the bolts for the bell to motor on my car striped and i heli coiled it and it is fine. i dont remember the size sorry.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the replies so far guys...just seeing if there was an easy fix for this. A lot of times they get stripped when people try to pull the tranny up to the housing with the bolts instead of pushing it all the way with some muscle.