General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

broken headlight motor!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken headlight motor!!!!!!

I know this quetion has been asked a million times and have still yet to find the answer.........Everytime I try to put my parking lights and fog lights on, my headlights pop up. My driver side motor had a busted gear and makes that aswome noise when you put them down. Is the reason why my headlights pop up when I just put my fog lights on is because of a broken gear??? or is there something else??

thanks
Jason
Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

mine does this as well but on the passenger side, and like you i can not find the awnswer to this??? i just love the embarrassing noise everytime you lock your car or turn them on or off , so does hte headlight motor need replaced or can you just replace this GEAR your talking about i wonder??
Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Well after my hundreds and hundreds of hours reading.............they say once you change the broken gear, both of the problems will be solved. I ordered the gear and after I install it, I will let you know if it works!!!!
Jason
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Well i installed the brass gear, and everything was fine....for a few months. Turns out the brass gear gotten eaten away as well.
-Joel
Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is your answer! https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the brass gear works for some and does nothing for other people.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Brass gear or plastic-I think the most important thing is the support that you can only get with this kit:[IMG][/IMG] It supports the worm gear so it can't move around on the plastic gear by supporting the motor shaft.( it's the t shaped bracket in the pic)Kit comes from:http://www.rodneydickman.com/But his kit only uses the plastic gear-Brent Franker offers the brass gear but not the support.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runriot
Brass gear or plastic-I think the most important thing is the support that you can only get with this kit:[IMG][/IMG] It supports the worm gear so it can't move around on the plastic gear by supporting the motor shaft.( it's the t shaped bracket in the pic)Kit comes from:http://www.rodneydickman.com/But his kit only uses the plastic gear-Brent Franker offers the brass gear but not the support.
The plastic gear that GM uses wouls last forever as long it was built better, meaning with very little or no play between the two gears. A plastic gear replacement is fine if it helps tighten that worm gear. The reason the brass gear doesn't even work is because there's still that play between the two.

Last edited by needadvice; 05-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

I used the brass gear and it works fine but I was able to get my hands on that support bracket.IMHO that is the key to a good repair.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

I just finished installing the brass gear......it was a pain in the ***!!!!!!! It took me 4 hours!!!!!! I am a pretty intelligent man......but DAMN!!!!! Lets just say that anything that could go wrong, went wrong

Search this Thread