Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 mod advice

This is all in my FD RX-7. I blew up my last wankel 2 yrs ago and finally got an LS1/T56 in the car.

I sourced a motor from a 99 with about 40K miles on it. So far it has Hinson Headers, Hinson Y-Pipe, Hinson Cold Air intake, and a custom 4" exhaust on it. EGR was removed. All emmissions crap is gone. No cat. ECU has mail order tune on it... but at some point I m going to get that dyno tuned locally...

anyway.

Other than the LS6 intake manifold what other basic mods would you guys recommend?

I was thinking plugs, wires, and maybe an underdrive pully... I am not sure if these are worth the $$ or not.

Anyone have an idea what kind of power that it is currently making?

Sorry for the dumb (and most likely already answered questions).
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all good man . for sure i would look into an intke then think about a cam . get it brethuing good and a cam will make good power . you got a fd so you got one of the best mods which is weight reduction so a cam , maybe some better heads you will be good to go . just get it breathing good first .
as far as power on my 00 back in the day with a mail tune , ported tb , stock ls1 intake and mac mid duals i put down 346rwhp and 355 torque . not sure how the headers you got flow but i would say you are around 330+ conservative guesstimate .
Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I figured the intake manifold was the next logical mod.

The weight should be interesting. With the old single turbo rotary setup I was 2750lbs with full tank of gas (according to scale at Savanna, GA drag strip). Supposidly with the new setup it will be about the same (or possibly lighter!). Next time I go to the strip I am going to weight it again.

Are MSD wires worth getting since I am putting in new plugs anyway or are the factory ones good enough?

Head/Cams are possiblity down the line. I cant afford that now and not sure if I am going to need it. I had 460whp/370tq in the rotary setup and that was really fast (11.2 on street tires should have been able to get 10s w/slicks). I have heard that the LS1/FDs have similar 1/4 times with around 380-390whp...
Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 855m0n0
This is all in my FD RX-7. I blew up my last wankel 2 yrs ago and finally got an LS1/T56 in the car.

I sourced a motor from a 99 with about 40K miles on it. So far it has Hinson Headers, Hinson Y-Pipe, Hinson Cold Air intake, and a custom 4" exhaust on it. EGR was removed. All emmissions crap is gone. No cat. ECU has mail order tune on it... but at some point I m going to get that dyno tuned locally...

anyway.

Other than the LS6 intake manifold what other basic mods would you guys recommend?

I was thinking plugs, wires, and maybe an underdrive pully... I am not sure if these are worth the $$ or not.

Anyone have an idea what kind of power that it is currently making?

Sorry for the dumb (and most likely already answered questions).
I wouldnt do the underdrive pulley unless you really are trying to squeeze out the most HP but you could spend the money toward a cam if you already have most of the bolt ons. That will wake it up for sure. Check out some cam kits from the sponsors at the right....if you want something streetable but still makes good power, a 224ish cam would work great. How are you using the car? DD or track only?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Mainly a weekend mountain run / track car. Might take it to work sometimes but not often. I mainly take it to track days at road Atlanta and robeling road and up to the North GA mountains.