Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

pressure drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pressure drop

hey guys i just did a sts install on my car i have a 5.5lb spring inthe wastegate right now and my car is only make 3psi do you think its possible for it to drop that much in pressure from goin through all the plumbing and intercooler or do you think it might be something else? I was getting my car tuned and they called me up and told me that and my clutch is starting to go out, so i only put down 400rwhp. They suggested to get like an 8lb spring so i can run right around 5 or 6 psi.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes you will lose psi going through the intercooler i due believe 1 pound if not 2 just up the spring in the gate or run a boost controller
Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the help.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also makes a differnece where you reference it from. Where are you referencing if from at the moment? Before or after the intercooler? Its best to have a tapped fitting somewhere aftere the intercooler, the most common place people use is the compressor housing fitting. Which isn't a bad place but will generally see less boost b/c its the first place the boost is introduced thus going though numerous bends but mostly the intercooler inteself.

This could be aided to your advantage though. For example, I have an inner and outer spring of 7psi each for my wastegate. I am going to run a base setting on my stockblock until I get my 370 in. I will be refererncing from the compressor and running off the single 7psi wastegate spring. I am thinking this will net me anywhere from 5-6 which is jsut where I want it. I also have a boost controller that will be installed at a later date with the engine and most likely switching my reference source to after the intercooler. Hope this helps ya and wortht a try instead of getting a new spring depending where your reference is.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

its referenced at the compressor i know i should do it at the manifold but i put a different spring in there and it still not putting out more boost it went up to 4psi then goes back down to 3. And i dont have any exhaust leaks, what do you think?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a intake piping leak somewhere...do you have and pvc openings that are not rerouted to compensate for boost? on my lt1 had to cap one off the tb

Quick Reply: pressure drop