Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil neck removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Oil neck removal

I cant figure out how to remove the oil filler neck on the valve cover. Was wondering if someone could explain how it comes off. Much appreciated
Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Haha I tugged on it one day and said **** that for fear of breaking it. Why are you trying to remove it?
Old 05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The easiest way to do this without braking anything is to remove the coil bracket, then take the valve cover off. Take a small flat tip screw driver or pick. When looking at the bottom of the valve cover into the oil neck you can see a small tab. Use your prying device to slightly lift the tab up while turning the oil neck. There ya go.

If you cant take the valve cover off there is a way to get it off while on the car but you may break the oil fill. If you pull back on the oil fill while turning you can sometimes get the plastic tab to go over the metal locking a on the valve cover. You run the risk of breaking the plastic tab on the oil fill neck off into the engine though.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

With the valve cover off. Flip it over so you see inside the bottom of the oil fill tube. Look closely and you will see a locking tab. Gentley pry at tab and twist and the tube will come off. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by connexion2005
Haha I tugged on it one day and said **** that for fear of breaking it. Why are you trying to remove it?
It's off the car, Im cleaning, sanding and painting it.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike @ CMS
The easiest way to do this without braking anything is to remove the coil bracket, then take the valve cover off. Take a small flat tip screw driver or pick. When looking at the bottom of the valve cover into the oil neck you can see a small tab. Use your prying device to slightly lift the tab up while turning the oil neck. There ya go.

If you cant take the valve cover off there is a way to get it off while on the car but you may break the oil fill. If you pull back on the oil fill while turning you can sometimes get the plastic tab to go over the metal locking a on the valve cover. You run the risk of breaking the plastic tab on the oil fill neck off into the engine though.
Awesome, thanks for the reply
Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've wondered the same thing, could never get mine off. Came right off my S10's

Quick Reply: Oil neck removal