Sponsored by:

H/C/I/E all at once?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C/I/E all at once?

Anyone ever done this before?

Right now my car is stock engine-wise besides the SLP lid. I'm getting married in July so all of my money is going towards that until later on when everything is paid off. For now, I'm just researching future mods and I have been thinking about just saving up a bunch of coin and doing everything at once.

Not only would it makes things easier because I would be tearing half the engine apart, but I could have someone spend a bunch of time tuning it once for everything instead of having to do it again and again as I mod it more and more. Sure it would cost a lot to do everything at once but I think it would be worth it.

What do you guys think? Worst case is I would do H/C/E and just hold onto the LS1 intake until I could afford a FAST 90/90 combo.

Best Scenario:

- FAST 90/90
- LS6 Heads maybe? I know next to nothing about heads right now.
- Streetable cam (still researching what cam will work best for me)
- LS2 Timing Chain (maybe double-roller)
- Ported LS6 Oil Pump
- PRC Dual Springs
- Chromoly Pushrods
- SS LT Headers
- True Dual (either custom or TSP)

Last edited by Kalgorn; 05-09-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added exhaust
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

i went through the same thing, was going to bolt on piece by piece, but this weekend will be doing heads,cam,fast92/92,fuel system,full exhaust and all the other misc, stuff that goes along with the job, i am getting so excited, i say just do it all at once.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds good, if you don't have the money to do the intake and tb, just wait on that. Its easy enough to do it later. One thing i would do first or before you tear into the motor would be the fuel pump. i did mine, drove to the gas station, then home and took out the motor. But hey, atleast i know my fuel pump with work!! lol
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With having gone through what I went through and reading what you want to do, you might as well order a forged shortblock and add the appropriate h/c/i etc to it. You'd be ahead of the game by maintaining the stock motor and actually getting what you want. A built motor offers the option of FI, or spray. Your stocker doesn't, or at least not for very long. Another thing to consider is what if you want to go back to stock ?? You can very easily and also make a good piece of change by selling your built motor. So many options brother, this is just one of them. Good luck and congrats on getting married.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
With having gone through what I went through and reading what you want to do, you might as well order a forged shortblock and add the appropriate h/c/i etc to it. You'd be ahead of the game by maintaining the stock motor and actually getting what you want. A built motor offers the option of FI, or spray. Your stocker doesn't, or at least not for very long. Another thing to consider is what if you want to go back to stock ?? You can very easily and also make a good piece of change by selling your built motor. So many options brother, this is just one of them. Good luck and congrats on getting married.

i agree 100% with that. i did exactly what your thinking about and now regret not just getting a forged short or long block. i kinda painted myself into a corner keeping the stock bottom end. i started with a tsp h/c package added fast 90/90, n20, s60 and d/s on and on. did it all at once and would have saved , money just ordering a longblock
Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I absolutely love the idea of building up a short block on the side and swapping that in with my accessories down the road but there's one problem.... hard to maintain a shortblock in an apartment.

If I had my own house with a garage I would be all about it. Unfortunately, I don't have that option right now. I'm moving to Florida in August for the Mrs. to go to graduate school at UF so we will be there for at least 5 years, then somewhere else. I want to do it right but it's going to be so hard to wait... maybe it will be a better idea to do a couple small mods to it (cam, exhaust) and enjoy it. I can always mod my '89 Prelude a little bit just so I can work on something.

Once she's done grad. school and picks up a killer job, we'll have a pretty nice house with a garage. That's when I'll have a real project.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be great to just pick up a forged shortblock but then why not go bigger cubes and get a 383, if your getting a 383 why not just go with a 402? I went through this already and decided to stick with my stock shortblock.Its not my only car so if anything goes wrong with it I can afford to let it sit until I can put a forged shortblock in it.

All of my parts are just sitting around collecting dust until I have time to put them in but when I do I will be doing what you are asking, I am going with TSP 5.3 stg 2.5s, a custom 226/232 cam, ARH LTs, new lifters, oil pump, SINGLE row LS2 chain(for my setup and whatever setup you go with I really doubt you will need a double row),cometic gaskets, UD pulley, racetronix fuel system, ported FAST 92/92 and after installation a tune and true dul system.

I agree with you...why do a bunch of little things to it rather than do it all at once.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Plenty of us are running h/c/i/e on the stock bottom end and I think it's less work to do it all at once. It's fine as long as you realize the limitations of the stock bottom end. You can get good power out of it, just don't plan on fi, nitrous, or spinning it above about 6500. My advice is to go for a combo that makes strong midrange power and pulls hard to about 6500. Compared to what your used to it will be very strong and can live a long time. We would all love to have big cube forged motor but for various reasons can't or don't go that route right away.

Don't forget about tuning. However you go, it does cost a bit and you will need more than a dyno tune for good street manners.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have been looking into reverse-split cams and I think that's the way I will be going when it comes down to it. One day I hope to build up a strong, big-cube shortblock to drop in but I think I will go with LTs, true duals, ported TB, and a reverse-split cam. Eventually I can throw on some higher flowing heads, an LS6 intake, push ~400hp and be happy with that until I have the opportunity to work on a project motor.

I appreciate the feedback from everybody.

Oh, and it's not my only car. It was my DD when I first bought it 1.5 years ago but I picked up a '89 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS in October as my official DD. I don't drive the Camaro a whole lot anymore to keep the miles lower (under 70k still).
Old 05-10-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car went from completely stock to what is listed in my sig all in one shot.

Troy
Old 05-10-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Personally, I might hold off on some off that till you prepare the rest of the car to hold up to the extra power. Would suck getting it all together and either not be able to hook, or blow up the stock 10 bolt once you do. Maybe do exhaust and a decent cam like a tr224 or 230, and look into a 9 inch with your extra money.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Badass99ss,

Do you have a bone stock Dyno that could be overlayed with your current setup ?? It would be pretty cool to see the difference in power and where the power was made.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I don't...wished I did tho. The first run on the dyno showed 400rwhp/416rwtq. After 1 1/2 on the dyno we got 165rwhp from tuning. Before my mods the car was completely stock, not a single mod. So I guess you could just take a stock 99 ss and compare it to mine

Troy
Old 05-11-2008, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

165 rwhp and 87 rwtq, not too bad. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

165 rwhp and 87 rwtq, not too bad. Thanks for the info.
That 165rwhp/87rwtq was a gain in tuning the car. This first run on the dyno that showed 400rwhp/416rwtq was WITH the mods in my sig. Vince from Trifecta Performance(sponsor) did his magic to get the extra hp. Though I would clarify so there is no confusion. None of those numbers are from the car stock.

Troy
Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lets see if I have this correct
h/c + bolt ons made 400 rwhp 416 rwtq
the procharger at 8 psi and proper tuning added the rest...
either way you got a beast on your hands.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lets see if I have this correct
h/c + bolt ons made 400 rwhp 416 rwtq
the procharger at 8 psi and proper tuning added the rest...
either way you got a beast on your hands.
Nope...All #'s were with my mods in my sig. I did all the mods at one time. The 400rwhp/416rwtq was my first run(base line) with just a street tune and ALL my mods. After I had it dyno tuned I got the 565rwhp/503rwtq.

Troy
Old 05-11-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what do you guys think about reverse-split cams?

My idea is to look into getting a rever-split cam specced, throw on some LTs, true duals, and ported TB. Maybe an LS6 intake as well. Later on I'll get a forged shortblock and start putting together a monster engine when I have a house and a place to put it and work on it.

The info I've found on reverse-splits seems to be exactly what I want. Tons of power under the curve, no need to wind up to 6700 rpms, and will really help with my limit of intake flow.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

It's easiest to do it all at once. Everything in my sig was done at the same time and made it a lot cheaper. Just start collecting parts and when you have everthing you want, put it on. It'll make the job go a lot quicker if you pull the engine out instead of working around it while it's in the car. my car put down 435 rwhp and 387 rwtq.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If I had the money and could wait that long I would most likely do everything at once or if was rich and could jut buy what I wanted when I wanted I would just do it all at once. In reality though I could never wait more power is way to fun. I did headers and exhaust, then later heads and cam, then later order a clutch. I dont think I would do it differently either. You get to find out what happens when you beat on a stock clutch with 430 lbs torque.

Last edited by matt1289; 05-11-2008 at 09:10 PM.