Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shock Problem???

OK, so for the last couple days I have been hearing what sounds like a bit of wheel rub on my passenger side rear tire in my 2002 LE Camaro. More recently, I have heard sum "thump" noises back there when I hit a bump and I seem to feel like the back end wants to wander slightly when I hit a bump in the road. Someone told me that it sounds like I may have a rear shock going bad.

I climbed under the car and I didn't see any evidence of anything broken or loose in the suspension. So, I was wondering if a bad shock might have these symptoms...as if the shock would compress but wasn't happy uncompressing.

Also, I only notice the rubbing sound when I'm corning and the "thump" only happens when I hit a bump...and not every time either.

So, my first question is...does this sound like a shock issue? If so, I assume I have to replace the rear shocks...and if they have to be replaced I probably shouldn't just put standard shocks back there. So, are there any specific manufacture of shocks that people recommend that might improve handling or general performance?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Did you check you see if the upper shock mount is loose?
Does the car bounce a lot after going over dips or bumps in the road, or just a couple times the stop? Is the shock body excessively wet/oily up around the shaft?
What shocks are on the car now?