Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Pacesetter Install trouble, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Pacesetter Install trouble, HELP!

Passenger side exhaust manifold is completely stuck! The dipstick is totally in the way and I can't get it to slide down or up! Do I have take out the coil packs? I have no idea how to take out the dipstick and that is the only problem i've ran into so far. Any suggestions?!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dip stick is mounted to the passenger side head and yes you have to remove it. It helps to remove the coilpacks, but not neccessary..........
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dmoney
The dip stick is mounted to the passenger side head and yes you have to remove it. It helps to remove the coilpacks, but not neccessary..........
How the hell do you remove the damn dipstick? That thing is REALLY stuck into the motor.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Did you remove the bolt that is holding the dip stick????? After that, just yank it out.....................
Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dmoney
Did you remove the bolt that is holding the dip stick????? After that, just yank it out.....................
Just yank it out? Because I was trying to shimmy it but that thing is REALLY on there. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be removed or not. I'll give that a shot then.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Just yank it out? Because I was trying to shimmy it but that thing is REALLY on there. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be removed or not. I'll give that a shot then.
Dude... that is totally in there. How the hell are you supposed to yank that thing out
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

If you grab it at the base, it'll come right out. I think I reached up from under the car and pulled it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I have had that happen before. They can get stuck but will still come out. You may turn it but don't bend it. They cost alot at the dealer so becareful.

Maybe you are grabbing it the wrong way in your hand.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I have had that happen before. They can get stuck but will still come out. You may turn it but don't bend it. They cost alot at the dealer so becareful.

Maybe you are grabbing it the wrong way in your hand.
I was underneath grabbing and pushing and I had my buddy up on top pulling. We can twist it and it seems pretty loose. It's just not coming out.

Just gotta take the bolt off the head right? Then follow it down to the bottom of the block by the oil pan? Just yank it out? Totally not happening
Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey if worst comes to worse just losen a motor mount and the header will fall right out thats what i do everytime i put headers on makes it really easy
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Once the 15mm bolt is removed I had to get under the car with a long flat head scredriver and tap it out with a hammer.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

guess i was lucky. mine just pulled out easy
Old 05-10-2008, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

I had to yank on mine pretty good to get it to budge.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Think if we remove the coil packs, we could pull it out through the top?

And what are the rules for the dipstick for the new headers? I'm kind of nervous about the dipstick getting a little to hot.

Also, getting the dipstick back in, just shove it back in there?

And what would happen if I turned the car on without the EGR not blocked off for the intake?

How many things should I be blocking off once I remove the AIR and EGR systems? I the vacuum line, the intake, anything else?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Think if we remove the coil packs, we could pull it out through the top?

And what are the rules for the dipstick for the new headers? I'm kind of nervous about the dipstick getting a little to hot.

Also, getting the dipstick back in, just shove it back in there?

And what would happen if I turned the car on without the EGR not blocked off for the intake?

How many things should I be blocking off once I remove the AIR and EGR systems? I the vacuum line, the intake, anything else?
1. remove the coil packs, they come off easy and give you alot of extra room.

2. the dipstick wil be fine. its wont get any hotter

3. have someone guide it at the bottom and tap it all the way in. it will go in easier then it came out.

4. i would block it. why wouldnt you if your deleting EGR/AIR

5. if you have race headers you dont have to block off anything. there is one vacuum line on the back of the motor from the air. just put a screw in it.

hope that helps
Old 05-10-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS

3. have someone guide it at the bottom and tap it all the way in. it will go in easier then it came out.

5. if you have race headers you dont have to block off anything. there is one vacuum line on the back of the motor from the air. just put a screw in it.

hope that helps

there you go
Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if you have race headers you still have to block off the 2 breathers on the passenger valve cover if you are deleting your air/egr. Unless you have a catch can you will need a 5/16 rubber plug to put over the breather which any auto parts store will have. You should also have an expandable freeze plug for the intake or buy an ls6 intake so u dont have to worry about it. There is also one spot on the back of the driver side valve cover that needs to be plugged and this is only if ur deleting all those ugly *** hoses. I guess I did this way and deleted my PCV system and dont need a catch can and I have zero oil consumption or oil behind the TB. I found a pcv valve fits perfect in the driver side hold and another 5/16 plug over the pcv valve and thats done. Any questions I can get pics to show what im talking about.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS

hope that helps
We used PB Blaster at the bottom of the dipstick and then tried chiseling it up with a flathead and ball ping hammer. WHILE yanking it from up top. This thing is just not coming out. DO I NEED to remove the dipstick to get the headers out and the new ones in?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, the new headers wont slide up far enough to go over the dipstick, atleast they didnt for me. Man I guess that PB blaster don't stop the cussing as it's advertised to do cuz I can only imagine the words coming out of ur mouth. Hmm it's hard for me to come up with more ideas, do you have anything you can use from under the car to grab the dipstick and use some leverage to pry it out?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

So the dipstick has to come out huh? PB Blaster and the dipstick are hearing my roar dude. hahahaha

We are smacking the hell out of it and spraying it a ton with PB Blaster (At the base of it) and still... nothing. It is shimmying back and forth no problem. It will sway all over, but won't lift up. I just don't get it.

As for blocking off the EGR and AIR. I was asking because I don't have the blockoffs handy and I want to hear the car. haha If I ever finish it that is.

I was also making sure that there are 3 places to blockoff. The Intake, the vacuum, and I don't know where the 3rd one is.