Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

not happy with paint,loose interest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not happy with paint,loose interest?

guys 81 z28 t-top car perfect core car,Ls1 plans,nut and bolt build,coated frame new suspension,came out of paint today ,not happy with it,lost interest in build.Ever happen to anyone?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

What went wrong with the paint? Pictures?

I'm going to be starting on my 79Z in a few months, going to media blast the body and do all the body work / paint myself. Should be fun.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Left rear quarter the paint didnt lay right,not exactly sure how it did,dark wavey spots,ya sure it can be fixed major blend but the guy was done with it because the buget was used up,the goal/est. was to be at $3500 body/paint,then got move to $4000, then he wanted 5K when all done and said ,he wouldnt answer when asked whats it take to fix it.Everything else looks great ,body work is perfect. I just have no desire to spend anymore $,I will try and get pics.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

first things first it sounds like the painter sucks and the shop aswell sucks. chances are if its blotchy then he has an inconsistent hand or they didnt seal the car and when it was primed and blocked some bondo was showing through and not enough paint was applied or it wasent cleaned right. theres a number of things that can go wrong but the shop should know how to handle their materials. you shouldnt have to pay a dime to fix the shops mistakes. that should be free to you. if a customer at the shop im at is unhappy with our job we have to fix it free just like almost every shop because its our fault that it doesnt look pre accident condition. to fix a crap job on the quarter shouldnt be to bad either.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I think not sealed,thing is I sewered the FN car at this point even he could make it right which wont happen.I will likey sell it and take the hit,I didnt get the car today, when I do, pics will be up
Old 05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

if theres anything i can do like a repaint or something let me know even though im in the midwest lol. i hate to see this happen to people and there cars. personally like i said that shop should be fixing there mistakes. i would leave bad feedback on here and anywhere you can about that shop. at an old shop i was at before i was paint we had a chevelle come back 3 times because the paint was lifting on the rough and we fixed it free each time because it shouldnt have been lifting.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Some pics of the car before paint and some very nice panels done, wish the left rear quarter looked as good,as you can see my buddy and I did a lot of work before sending to body and paint
Attached Thumbnails not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-100.jpg   not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-093.jpg   not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-094.jpg   not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-042.jpg   not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-026.jpg  

not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-037.jpg   not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-030.jpg   not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-023.jpg  

Last edited by gonzo 6.0; 05-11-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is what I started with,real clean rust free core.Looking at pics reminds me of all the hard work getting it this far, and I am pissed that I lost the drive to see it thru.
Attached Thumbnails not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-017.jpg   not happy with paint,loose interest?-picture-033.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't blame you. As the other person said, the body shop that turned it over this way sucks! Just take it somewhere else and have them get it right for you. When you get it back, you'll be feeling better about it and ready to go again. Just a minor setback that some cash will fix.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

man you've come far i wouldnt just give up yet. find someone in your area that can fix it and just do the quarter and blend into the door. trust me you'll be much happier when its all said and done especially when you have a finished product. my 1994 is driving me nuts especialliy with the hack job done on the quarter and the hoist damage on the fender. i feel your pain but i think you should continue and fight through it because in the end its all going to be worth it when that car comes together. like i said before anyway i can help i will do so being that i own an 81 aswell that i will start to restore after i finish up my 94.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think I'm going to drive up there and smack you in the head.

That car's gonna be gorgeous. That stinks about the rear quarter, but carry on! You don't see many of these cars on the road any more, and even more rare is one with a half decent paint job.

Mine's not rust free, I'm very jealous of yours. I've got a lot of work ahead of me to get my 79Z to where I want it... to where it doesn't leak water through the rear window every time it rains.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I just noticed the metal behind the door striker is partly cracked and painted over,you know he wacked with a hammer trying to adjust it
Old 05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

yeah take that back and show him that. i would be shoving my foot up his *** if he told me he wasent going to fix his hack job. keep going with it man that thing will be awesome .