Sponsored by:

M6 to 4L80 questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default M6 to 4L80 questions.....

Hey guys

I'm going to be converting from a M6 to a 4L80 forward manual valve body, non-computer controlled trans. Reasoning behind the non-computer controlled aspect is I have a 98' car and don't want to spend any money on harnesses, TCI TCU's, or a stand alone system like BS3. My plan is to run a B&M Pro Stick gated shifter. I have been researching this swap for a few weeks now and have 95% of it figured out. I was wondering if anyone could help me on these last few questions.

1. For the speedometer hookup, do I need to buy the 2 VSS sensors for the 4L80 and splice them into my M6 VSS wires?

2. I am assuming that the shifter will have a NSS on it to tie into my M6 harness as well as something for my reverse lights?

3. Could I get 3/8" NPT to -6 AN 90 degree fittings and screw them into the side of the transmission for the fluid cooler? Or will the rear one not perform because it does not have the longer piece attached? Recommendations?

4. Guys with manual valve bodys, what is being done to lockup the converter? When do you normally lock it (this is my first auto trans)?

5. Is the a hole for a temp gauge sending unit? Or should I just weld a bung into the fluid pan?

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

1. the trans normally comes with the sensors

hook the toss wires up to your vss signal wires of the m6 harnes.

2. yes, you will need to run wires over from your clutch switch to the p/n safety switch so that it will only start in park or neutral, use reverse light wiring from the m6 harness and hook to new reverse switch

3. I have a newer 'split port' trans in my car and i use 4l60e lines so that is a no.. and on my truck i have the old standard pair with regular npt fittings in them as well.. could be doing something wrong but so far it works fine for both

4. your trans will come with a single wire exiting the drivers side of the trans, put a switch between that and 12v and flip the switch when you want lock up.. it will work in third or 4th.

5. cant remember if my pan has a fitting for the t brake or the temp sender.. trans builder should be able to tell you
Old 05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When would someone lock a converter? Why? Like I said, I've never owned an auto car before
Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

daily driving, for better gas mileage.