Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't understand reverse split cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I don't understand reverse split cams

I've been reading posts for a while now and I think I've got a handle on cams (for a noob). I still can't see what makes a reverse split cam work at all. Is it good for any one kind of engine build? Are there good reasons or applications where they are the "hot" choice? It seems to me like they might have a fairly wide power band for a near stock car but still worse than a "good" normal cam. Any info will be appreciated.
Stan C.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

To put it in Lehman's term, Reverse are bigger on intake to act like a "crutch" to let more intake charge in and compensate for weak intake system.

I use one and with wide LSA at that, but combined with the right heads and compression, they make one of the most trq and flat curve you'll ever see.
The trick is COMBO
Old 05-10-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about flow and more importantly valve events. If your intake flow is the weak link and your exhaust is wide open then a reverse split helps by allowing more flow on the intake side to compensate for the better flow on the exhaust side. This is a kindergarden way of saying it but assuming the engine is an air pump (more in = more out). An intake charge of fuel and air is just that and goes through a valve 1.97 in diameter. Then it is converted into a gas under pressure and exits through a valve 1.57 in diameter. The exhaust side of a cylinder head has less of a problem inducing flow because it's under pressure of exhaust gases vs. intake vacuum and solid fluids (air considered). Like stated above, it's all about your individual set-up. Everyone is different. Combination is the key.

* Listen to the man (post) above. He knows what he is talking about.