Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low oil pressure wont go past 28psi

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure wont go past 28psi

I'm wondering if my low oil pressure(wont go past 28psi when reved, It would idle about 18psi) be caused by bad oil pump? Some say to check my bearings but its a stock motor with about 50k miles. The reason why I dont want to check the bearings is that I'm pretty sure I would need to replace the rod bolts. If i check the bearings also, i believe that I have to replace the bearings too. Can a bad pump only give about 18psi on idle and not go past 28psi when you rev it? I'm using a brand new autometer electric gauge.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Hook up a mechanical gauge and get a good reading, could be a gauge problem, if you had a bearing problem it would knock and could be metal particals in oil, again i would get a deff oil pressure reading first before you start tearing it apart
Old 05-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Teching In

yeah at low rpms or idle(especially cold) it would sound like its ticking around the front of the motor. It would also start making a loud ticking noise after driving on the freeway for about 15 minutes then would go away after I turned the car off for about 5 minutes. I wasnt low on oil and used 5w-30.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Teching In

So i finally got a chance to work on the engine. Turns out the person who installed the gto pickup tube didnt install the oring. I guess majority of the people were right. I dont know are the bearings okay. I probably only put less than 500 miles on the motor after the pickup tube swap. Do you guys think the bearings are okay?

I also probably should change the headgasket since I found oil around one of the spark plug threadings.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

What does oil around the spark plug thread mean?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tehdvd
So i finally got a chance to work on the engine. Turns out the person who installed the gto pickup tube didnt install the oring. I guess majority of the people were right. I dont know are the bearings okay. I probably only put less than 500 miles on the motor after the pickup tube swap. Do you guys think the bearings are okay?

I also probably should change the headgasket since I found oil around one of the spark plug threadings.
Your bearing should be fine. I tore into my motor when i noticed about 8-10psi at idle. Turned out to be my cam retainer plate. FYI I also hooked up a mechanical gauge and at 6k rpm shows over 90psi while the one in the dash shows a little over sixty. This is with a melling high pressure pump. My motor is still going strong. But at idle the mechanical one shows about 40-45psi hot idle while in dash shows about 50psi.