Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vigi 3800 with 1500miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vigi 3800 with 1500miles?

How long can you expect a good stall to last? Considering purchasing a slightly used vigilante 3800 for only $250 and hope that i dont have issues. It had around 1500 miles on it when the rearend went on the SS it was in. Bad idea? Either way where can i get an external oil cooler for an otherwise stock 4l60E - and roughly how much does it cost.

Also under the best of conditions (minus the fact that its the first attempt) how realistic is it to try and do a converter install yourself. Bad idea?

Are bolt ons and a tune on stock 2.73's enough for a 3800?

To have just some of these questions answered would be helpful.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ask the buyer for the serial # off the converter. Call Vig ask them if its still under warranty.. They come with a 2 year warranty so it probably still is covered. If so send it in for a cut and clean free of charge. You would pay shipping both ways which is only 75~
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
How long can you expect a good stall to last? Considering purchasing a slightly used vigilante 3800 for only $250 and hope that i dont have issues. It had around 1500 miles on it when the rearend went on the SS it was in. Bad idea? Either way where can i get an external oil cooler for an otherwise stock 4l60E - and roughly how much does it cost.

Also under the best of conditions (minus the fact that its the first attempt) how realistic is it to try and do a converter install yourself. Bad idea?

Are bolt ons and a tune on stock 2.73's enough for a 3800?

To have just some of these questions answered would be helpful.
Hey Matt , I would check on getting rear-end upgrade first. My is going out with my mods and a few hard launches I mean (10 or less) now I have a whooshing sound. i can only imagine how hard the stall will kick. My gears are 3.23's i need new axles hopefully my gears are ok
Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

me and hilton did mine and it took us the better part of the day. he has never dropped a 4l60 and i have never dropped a tranny period. get a write up to walk you through it and be patient. o a tranny jack helps too.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5301113
Hey Matt , I would check on getting rear-end upgrade first. My is going out with my mods and a few hard launches I mean (10 or less) now I have a whooshing sound. i can only imagine how hard the stall will kick. My gears are 3.23's i need new axles hopefully my gears are ok
Ive been told that the autos are alot easier on rearends, and have had no trouble thus far with it. Plus this car has relatively new axels since Tiger Auto had them replaced before i bought it. Unless ive been lied to i believe that i can count several autos in the sevens at DTR (1/8th) on the stock rear. Not to say they lasted all that long - but the stocker has done alright thus far. If anything goes next i think itll be the trans. Oil cooler and all id say itll last no more than 3 months after the install. Then ill get a better one. When the rear goes ill do the same. Have you ever put slicks on your T/A? I cant imagine you damaging it no matter how much you put down on stock tires. Gears and axels can be replaced without buying a 2k rearend.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Ive been told that the autos are alot easier on rearends, and have had no trouble thus far with it. Plus this car has relatively new axels since Tiger Auto had them replaced before i bought it. Unless ive been lied to i believe that i can count several autos in the sevens at DTR (1/8th) on the stock rear. Not to say they lasted all that long - but the stocker has done alright thus far. If anything goes next i think itll be the trans. Oil cooler and all id say itll last no more than 3 months after the install. Then ill get a better one. When the rear goes ill do the same. Have you ever put slicks on your T/A? I cant imagine you damaging it no matter how much you put down on stock tires. Gears and axels can be replaced without buying a 2k rearend.
I was told the same thing but F -body is one on the cars that rearend can't handle stock power.....i found out that the hard way and with my mods and the predator tune and hard launches i started hearding the noises and the clunck on second gear. Trust me with i say my car hits hard from a dig. No i have never put slicks on my T/A . I mit need your help and or advise on the axels hopefully i dont need gears i dont want to change them

PM Sent