Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Finish Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint Finish Questions

I just purchased a 00 NBM TA. I can tell the car has been resprayed. If I look close I can see lines in the paint. I'm guessing it's from improper prep work before the respray. From a distance you really can't see it, but if you get up close you can. My friend couldn't even see it but I can.

To get rid of it does the car need to be resprayed, or can I possibly get away with a wetsand and buff? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Are they sandscratches in the underneath paint? If so, sanding and buffing will help a little, but being a metallic color, you will still see it.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mattism78,

Beyondstatic is somewhat correct. Wet sanding and buffing will only correct the problem in the clear. If it is in the base a repaint may be required. Sometimes people do not finish there work with the proper grits at the proper times, thus the visible sand scratches. I'm guessing these may be in the following undercoats: plastic filler, primer surfacer, or improperly prepared base coat(sanding to coarse then painting over it).
Old 05-11-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like the paint shrunk when getting backed. take it back and have the shop look at it and see what they say. most shops would take care of this for you.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
sounds like the paint shrunk when getting backed. take it back and have the shop look at it and see what they say. most shops would take care of this for you.
Unfortunately the car was this way when I purchased it. I don't know who painted it. The price was right though. I just figured I'd ask if it's a common problem.