Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Camaro Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camaro Suspension Upgrades

OK, with my recent thread concerning shocks...I have begun to think that the first thing I want to mod on my car is suspension. As crazy as it sounds, I am currently content with the power my car has (for now anyway) and I feel that its handling characteristics should be the first thing I look into. So, I would like to start planning out what mods I should do to my suspension, steering, and braking systems.

First off, I have minimal knowledge of suspension. I have spent most of my time learning about engines and electrical systems (mainly on my '69 Camaro) and have yet to do any exploration into suspension. But, I think that my 2002 Camaro presents an interesting option to explore this unknown area of cars for me.

So, I think I just need to start off with the general question...what mods have people found to be the best upgrades for Camaro's suspension, steering, and braking?

I'm already planning on switching completely over to Koni shocks and installing weld in sub-frame connectors as well as a strut tower brace (I don't know what brands of connectors or brace yet). I have already installed a new set of tires and gone with factory size Goodyear F1 All-Seasons.

This car is mainly a street car but it will see some drag strip time every so often. For now, this is also my daily driver and will be for the next few years. I'm looking to install quality parts and plan on doing it over a longer period of time as budget allows. I believe in waiting a little longer and saving a little more to buy the better component rather than doing it now (unless something is broken and I need to fix it and can't wait). My main concern is to improve overall handling and traction. I would also like to consider upgrading the brakes.

One thing I want to keep in mind though, I want to keep the stock ride height and profile. I really like how the car sits as it is.

My car is a 2002 Camaro SS LE M6 SLP car but did not come with the SLP suspension upgrades. At the moment, the car is completely stock with the exception of a cat back exhaust which is a series 80 Flowmaster.

I would be interested in hearing any thoughts about what mods I should consider or what mods I shouldn't. Like I said, I want to being planning out this car so any input at all will be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

well theres a lot of things you can do. i recommend that since you wanna drag this car every so often going with single adjustable parts with one rod end and one poly end. those parts being lower control arms, and panhard bar which will help with traction. a k-member and upper and lower a arms will help you drop weight off the front of the car. and a torque arm will also help at planting power to the ground. subframe connectors will definatley help with body flex. personally i like coilovers verse spring and shock combos. i think afco makes a hell of a coilover but qa1 is good also. otherwise a popular combo on here is the koni shocks with strano springs. umi spohn and bmr all have good stuff. personally i like umi for great customer service and good prices. all these guys on here are sponsors so check them out.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

While an STB wont hurt, its really not something to worry too much about getting. I bought one before and suspension mods and didn't really notice a difference, it *might* have made the car have a slightly tighter turn-in, but it could have been in my head... If you like the way they look go for it, they are relatively cheap anyway.
Konis, yes, those are a for sure difference. Do these FIRST.
SFC's, as I said in your other thread are kinda arguable. What I would do if I were you is buy the bolt-in style, and bolt them in and drive around for a while (like a week or so) and see if you like it. Do a before and after kinda test, take your car and certain roads before and the same ones after you install the SFC's. If you don't like them, no big deal, take them off and sell them. If you do like them get them welded(you can weld the bolt in style ones too), and your set. Im just suggesting this because what if you get them welded and don't like it? That would be a SOB to get off I would think...
For brakes you can read the stickies. Most people like hawk pads, and brembo blank rotors. The whole slotted/drilled rotors are also arguable in terms of performance differences, but there is one sure fact about them: they crack easier.
I say do these mods, then go from there and decide what you want to change about the car next (springs, swaybars etc.)
Doing things one at a time (I did this) will show you exactly what each mod does, how it effects your car, and weather or not you like the effect. (if you throw on a whole bunch of stuff at the same time, and don't like a certain aspect of the car, how will you know what to change?)
Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Dude! That's exactly my train of thought. I was way too scared of being lynched by this board if I said I was satisfied with stock power for now, and that handling is more important to my daily driver.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

I have pretty much the entire lineup of UMI parts on the car. And as of now my least satisfied part is the 3 point SFC. If i did it again i wouldn't have bought them. I love my Koni 4/4 and Strano Springs, its heavenly. I would recommend like said above to get the poly/rod ended suspension parts and not the double rod ended (it makes for a harsh ride). My adjustable TA was pretty neat too, I'd recommend that too. I think the K-member is not necessary for some time to come, i don't even have one yet. But i would definitely get all your suspension parts worked out then continue on the path to power.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cookba
I have pretty much the entire lineup of UMI parts on the car. And as of now my least satisfied part is the 3 point SFC. If i did it again i wouldn't have bought them. I love my Koni 4/4 and Strano Springs, its heavenly. I would recommend like said above to get the poly/rod ended suspension parts and not the double rod ended (it makes for a harsh ride). My adjustable TA was pretty neat too, I'd recommend that too. I think the K-member is not necessary for some time to come, i don't even have one yet. But i would definitely get all your suspension parts worked out then continue on the path to power.
sorry to bust in your thread but why didnt you really like the 3 piece sfc from umi? i was planing to get these soon
Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Banned

^^after the install of the SFC i didnt feel like the chassis stiffened up any. maybe its just me though.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

^^after the install of the SFC i didnt feel like the chassis stiffened up any. maybe its just me though.
what sfc would you recommend then?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

The 4th gen chassis is pretty stiff compared to like 3rd gen car or some Mustang models I believe. That's normal to not notice much difference. Though I'm not an expert on this by any means. It's been debated a lot whether the car has flex or whatever. The only way that adding subframes can hurt really is the added weight. They are legal in ESP now in autox, and that used to be a drawback when it was SM only.

UMI's are probably as good as any SFC. There won't be a difference if you get a different brand.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Banned

^ i agree. i had a 1986 IROC and i wish i would have had SFC on it. I like my UMI 3 Points, and would recommend them to anyone. I guess as my power increases i will be happy having the extra brace on the chassis

Quick Reply: Camaro Suspension Upgrades