General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squishy brakes!! Air??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default squishy brakes!! Air??

So about 2 months ago I installed an SJM engineering line lock on my camaro. Aftewards I thought that the brakes felt squishy so I bled them once using the gravity method starting with the farthest wheel from the resovoir. I still had squishy brakes after the first bleed, so I bled them a second time the same way, I still felt that they were squishy but after posting on here about it most people seemed to think it was just in my head since the car stopped fine and I was able to get the ABS to activate by stomping on the pedal.

Now two months later today I went to the track with my 3600 stall converter and when I hold the brake pedal down to stall the car up, the pressure I need to apply to the pedal in order to hold the car from moving the pedal goes to the floor, and I can only stall it up to about 2800 before the car starts creeping forward on me. I bled the brakes again for the 3rd time today at the track and still same problem. I had my friend who also owns a 4th gen camaro feel them and he said they are definately squishy. This started when I installed the line lock so I know that it is related and probably because I have air in the brake system. I have gravity bled them 3 times now, how do you suggest I fix this issue or how should I bleed the brakes? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop gravity bleeding. Get your bud in there to pump those brakes.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, gravity bleeding will likely introduce air. I use a one-man motive power bleeder and it's a piece of cake - works on clutch too.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

what i did a while back was take my car out and go up to 50mph then slam the brakes to get ABS to come on. then went back and manually bled the brakes. worked like a charm
Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a friend pump the brakes to bleed them too and that didnt work either. I just got the car back from the dealer and they said they bled the brakes and the ABS system and got some air out but the brakes are still squishy. The problem is if I push hard on the brakes the pedal goes to the floor. Well at the track I cant press the brake pedal hard enough to keep it from rolling when I stall it up because the pedal just goes to the floor.

MrEddie can you tell me exactly how you used the power bleeder to bleed them, that looks like the next step for me. Anybody else have any ideas? Thanks

The only other thing I can think of is when I installed the line lock I also swapped the fluid out and i used the valvoline syn power brake fluid that says it exceeds dot 3 and dot 4 fluid so I am thinking I maybe should just go back to standard dot 3 fluid, what do you think? could the synpower brake fluid be causing the brake pedal to go to the floor?