Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Debating on FI

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating on FI

I am debating on buying a powerdyne non intercooled system(running 6psi) from a buddy of mine to put on the basically stock m6 z along with a mild reverse split cam,arp rod and head bolts, ls6 intake, headers and tru duels. Is this a good set up for the street? If so, what kind of power would i make and will i have to worry about blowing the guts out of my engine?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99pwtrz
I am debating on buying a powerdyne non intercooled system(running 6psi) from a buddy of mine to put on the basically stock m6 z along with a mild reverse split cam,arp rod and head bolts, ls6 intake, headers and tru duels. Is this a good set up for the street? If so, what kind of power would i make and will i have to worry about blowing the guts out of my engine?
My $0.02..... any FI runs the risk of blowing the engine unless certain measures are taken. These include the following:

1. Tune, tune , tune. Can't overemphasize this. Good tuning is MANDATORY!! A crappy tune will blow the engine, even at 6PSI w/ ARP rod-bolts!!!
2. FMIC is a must on daily driven FI cars. Intake temps get way too hot in stop/go traffic otherwise. (They get hot WITH a FMIC during street driving, but no where near as bad as non-intercooled).
3. Aftermarket valvesprings. 918's at a minimum....duals are even better.
4. My personal perference....a wideband O2. No other gauge says "hey stupid, get off the f$%^n gas like a wideband O2. It's saved my engine on 2x occasions.
5. Recommend some hardened pushrods to go with the new springs.

I have no personal experience with Powerdyne systems, but
most of what I've heard is negative. Problems with the internals not lasting. Others can probably chime in w/ better info. Unless youre getting a smoking deal on it, might want to consider a Procharger setup if going the SC route. Turbos are also nice

Hope this helps ya'.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Teching In

He wants 800 for the complete system with less than 10000 miles is why im considering powerdyne. How difficult would it be to fab my own FMIC setup?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerdyne's are pretty inefficient. Even with an intercooler the design is pretty poor. I'd spend the money on a set of used longtubes, a good n/a cam, and a tune instead. You'll make similar power and be out a lot of headache. Whys is your friend removing the powerdyne?

You might research powerdyne, they're not too popular for a reason.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Teching In

He ordered a D1 procharger. Thanks for the advice guys. looks like im going n/a!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah I see. Yeah he definitely made the right move. Don't get too ahead of yourself, nothing will benefit you more than researching around and talking to people that have proven combinations. It's not in the pieces themselves, it's the combination of parts working well together to make the power you desire and where you want it. Check out this thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/906564-2003-z06-cam-only-432rwhp-400rwtq-guess-cam.html

Thats a good mild street cam with really good all around numbers. Something similar to a cam like this one will work well in a street car and run great at the track as well.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
Powerdyne's are pretty inefficient. Even with an intercooler the design is pretty poor. I'd spend the money on a set of used longtubes, a good n/a cam, and a tune instead. You'll make similar power and be out a lot of headache. Whys is your friend removing the powerdyne?

You might research powerdyne, they're not too popular for a reason.
I secound this !!!If going to do it? Do it right !! or dont do it !!

Quick Reply: Debating on FI