Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Any tips on fixing deep scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any tips on fixing deep scratches?

Anyone have any advice on how to fix deep scratches?

This is for my black Jeep, it got keyed a while back, and now that the weather is nicer I want to fix it.

The scratches are deep, they definitely catch your nail if you run it over them, but they aren't completely down to primer.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but I don't want to just go over it with touch up paint either though.

I was thinking maybe hit it with touch up, wet sand, and then buff with polishing compound?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the right way to do it is prime the scratches till they are completely filled, then guide coat and block the area down so the panel is nice and flat (especially with black) then base and clear. the good thing about black is you should not have to blend into other panels.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lmt0705
the right way to do it is prime the scratches till they are completely filled, then guide coat and block the area down so the panel is nice and flat (especially with black) then base and clear. the good thing about black is you should not have to blend into other panels.
No the right way to do it is feather edge the scratches out then prime, block then paint. If you just prime the scratches the primer will eventually shrink about a week later and you'll see the scratches.