Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some help, lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help, lots of questions

OK, I'll start by saying I just installed a Moser 9inch in my car, got it all done painted and put in the car....Only thing is it whines. So I take it to work to have the guys that set it up listen to it(I work at Inland Truck Parts/Gear Shop) and take a guy around for a ride, they said it don't sound like it has to do with the lash at all(And the guy that set it up does that for a living, pattern looked good and everything), so we go to the next step...Pinion Angle.

With the suspension loaded we got an angle of -0.5, then we call Moser they say it should be -1.0 on that rear end. also notice that the TA looks loaded just sitting there (the tyranny side is sticking upward in the rubber instead of laying in it free) So my thought is its either in a bind OR it's bent.

So My questions are:

If the car's just sitting there on flat ground should the TA look like its under pressure?

Looking into an aftermarket TA and looking at the Spohn & UMI....I have stock exhaust in front of the Cat....so what TA & Crossmemeber combo can I get, I'm gonna get Long-tubes this winter and really don't wanna wait that long to fix this problem.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gear whine is different from whine caused by your pinion angle being off (u-joint noise--which to me is more of a humming sound). In any case, your pinion angle is set to where that shouldn't be a problem.

Even if the pattern looks good, they can still whine. I went through this several times with the guy that set mine up (he does this for many of the locals). He'd show me the pattern was good and in more than one case, it still whined a lot. He'd make adjustments until it was good. It was a pain but I don't have to listen to the whine from the rear forever.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

You can't go wrong with torque arms from UMI, Spohn, or BMR. All three are bad-*** companys, and all three can help you set everything up nicely. I have my sights set so far on UMI since i have seen great prices in all their products. I do like the BMR Trak Pak, but my true-duals don't allow me to use it.
-Joel
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

So far I found a crossmemeber mounted Spohn Adj for 300 shipped to my door used so I think thats the route I'm going, then gonna go from there
Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

So no one has really answered my questions, when the cars just sitting there on flat ground should the TA have alot of pressure one it?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The trq arm should have negative angle when it is loaded and on the ground. Most people run between -3 and -2 for their pinion angle. I set mine at -2.5, you can adjust it based on how the car hooks at the track and or vibrations. When your driving the car what you want is the trq arm to be around zero degrees. BMR has a great video on their site on how to properly setup the pinion angle.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

OK so got on the phone again today, Called Spohn Engineering's Tech Line.

Told him what I was doing. Putting a Moser 9inch ford in an 02 SS, told him the problem and everything else. Before I could finish my sentence he asked what rear suspension mods I had, I told him (Adj LCA's/Panhard bar), and then he asked if the front of the Torque Arm is mashed in the bushing on the tyranny. I said Yes, and his response was "We hear that alot" Then he explained it to me. the 3 Tubes that are welded on the 9inch housing from Moser, are about 1/8 inch TO LONG for a stock TA,so when ya bolt it it pushed the TA up,which is why I'm getting the Pinion angle I'm getting and why it's making noise, and the reason you can really hear it in the car and you cant outside the car.

450 bucks later