Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water meth question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Water meth question?

Is it nessary to run a progressive kit on an sts kit stock motor running 5-8psi. I was thinking of running a 10 or 12gph nozzle.
Am I in the ballpark?
I assume everyone is spraying after the maf....

Thanks,Chris.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as the tune is good, there is no reason running a methanol setup. Are you running a intercooler?

If you do decide to run it, run 100% straight methanol. Water does not burn, and will have you running in circles figuring out why it doesn't pull up top because its putting the fire out.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...

When you run out of octane, then you need the meth
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not going to be running an intercooler, I was thinking of getting the ati twin intercooler setup I don't want to cut the front bumper up. But water meth is a bit cheaper Ive heard it's worth 20-30 hp depending on mix. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by spaz1
not going to be running an intercooler, I was thinking of getting the ati twin intercooler setup I don't want to cut the front bumper up. But water meth is a bit cheaper Ive heard it's worth 20-30 hp depending on mix. Maybe I'm wrong.
I would highly suggest running an intercooler setup, regardless if you have to modify.

The problem with using meth for intercooler + octane is if the system goes dry or dies, the motor has zero chance.

If an intercooler gets hot then the IAT sensor will yank timing and make it fall over.

A meth system malfunction is almost a sudden death, it will be a direct lean out. Alot of people do not think about this when getting a system, they just hear cheap power gains. But in reality it is not a cheap gain, you have a new tune + meth + kit, a good cam is worth 25-30.

If its just for octane boost, spend good money and buy race fuel that was designed for this sole purpose.

Most of the guys getting away with no intercooler are carb guys and low low boost guys, the lower the IAT's the better chance you have at making good steam.

The power gain most people see is with an intercooler as well, most intercooled IAT's are in the range of 100-125ish depending on how hard and how long the car is ran, no intercooler is drastically higher, this is risking detonation. The power gain most see is from minor timing advance and lower IAT's.

Chemically intercooling is proven to work, but you better trust that kit with the life of your motor.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 PM
AIS
Banned

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
I would highly suggest running an intercooler setup, regardless if you have to modify.

We highly recommend running both an intercooler with a water methanol injection system. In most cases we can bring IAT's right down to ambient removing all the heat from the compressor at full boost with moderate boost levels. Additionally, the added octane is becoming absolutely necessary for many as they add a supercharger to their factory high compression engine. Many of our customers and shops could never make the type of power they are making on pump gas without the addition of our system It's generally not horsepower or boost which kills motors. It's improper tuning and to low of an octane leading to detonation.

The problem with using meth for intercooler + octane is if the system goes dry or dies, the motor has zero chance.

If an intercooler gets hot then the IAT sensor will yank timing and make it fall over.

A meth system malfunction is almost a sudden death, it will be a direct lean out. Alot of people do not think about this when getting a system, they just hear cheap power gains. But in reality it is not a cheap gain, you have a new tune + meth + kit, a good cam is worth 25-30.

By relocating the IAT sensor, if the water methanol fails or runs out, the IAT sensor will pick it up and the ECU will pull timing just as it would if IAT's were to go up from the intercooler becoming heat soak. Not this will require a new tune and for users to develop a new base line for IAT's with the meth flowing and readjusting IAT timing and fuel tables.

Additionally, if the engine is tuned safely before adding the water meth and then you add it without changing fuel or timing tables, if the system were to fail the engine will be just fine as the original tune was safe from the beginning before adding the water meth. We know of many shops who will add water meth in the same fashion and do so simply for added safety and insurance for the engine. While many others will tune for it and relocate the IAT sensor if needs be.

However, it's all to common to see and hear about shops installing meth, retuning for it and not relocating the IAT sensor (when needed) and letting the car go out the door with out a proper tune.

If its just for octane boost, spend good money and buy race fuel that was designed for this sole purpose.

Most of the guys getting away with no intercooler are carb guys and low low boost guys, the lower the IAT's the better chance you have at making good steam.

The power gain most people see is with an intercooler as well, most intercooled IAT's are in the range of 100-125ish depending on how hard and how long the car is ran, no intercooler is drastically higher, this is risking detonation. The power gain most see is from minor timing advance and lower IAT's.

Chemically intercooling is proven to work, but you better trust that kit with the life of your motor.
With proper installation and tuning, the chances of someone hurting their motor is very unlikely. It's all to common for people not to do it correctly.