Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

diy for taking apart the front springs/coil

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diy for taking apart the front springs/coil

i want to take out the springs and of course the coil is connected to it. i noticed the top has i think 3 bolt????? then the has i think 2 if i remember correctly. anyways i have a shock/spring compressor and i want to do the work myself . ive never done it before but i no how the compressor works and i just want to make sure i take everything apart right without breaking things so i'd rather hear some advice before i go to work.
thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your spring compressor one that clamps to the OUTSIDE of the springs? The one that looks like a couple of hooks on threaded rod? Do you have at least two, preferable three of these things? If so, you can proceed...

The prime word here is CAREFUL!! Clamp 2 or 3 of the compressors equally spaced around the spring, then tighten them down in an alternating pattern, until you have slack in between the spring and it's locators.

At that point, you can remove the single nut at the top of the shock shaft, and remove the cushions from the top of the assembly. CAREFULLY remove the spring and set it aside. Transfer any necessary parts from the old shock to the new one.

CAREFULLY place the spring on the new shock. Align the spring's pigtails in the rubber cushions, tighten the nut on the shock shaft, holding everything in place, then slowly release the spring compressors. Work in an alternating pattern when removing the compressors.

This should get you through it.......I might have missed a small detail or two as I last did this job 4-5 years ago, and I'm going on memory. And this is assuming you already have the shocks off the car, of course

Quick Reply: diy for taking apart the front springs/coil