Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New trans, might be hurt already...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New trans, might be hurt already...

Got a new Performabuilt lvl2 with a 3400 stall...

Thanks for the trans, and thanks for letting change my mind on the stall like 80 times!!! great service...

Drug the car/trans/verter to the installer last week, He calls wednesday evening and says the t-pan was leaking and that he was going to try replacing the seal... got the car back thursday... It was raining here thursday/friday so I couldn't "play" at all...

Saturday morning was nice so I wanted to go driving, got to 295s nice and easy giving everything a chance to warm up, drove about 8 miles on the highway to the exit to my new place... Some decent streets and lights so I was horsing around a bit...

4 good launches and then a normal take off, on the normal launch when it hit third the rpms were climbing a bit higher then I was expecting and the car never shifted to third... I threw it in neutral and coasted to a parking lot, looked under and there is a steady drip... I push the car back a few feet and its transmission fluid on the ground...

I tried to check the fluid level but the fluid is all over the damned dipstick so I shut her down and walked to my apartment (only about 2 miles) and sat talking to my roomy for a bit... later that afternoon I tried to check the fluid again but the awesome design of the dipstick makes it damned near impossible to see the level... I figured I would try to see if it will go in gear, it did and I drove it across the parking lot (parking lot is like a mile across, its for a bunch of large business's and a theatre and stuff) and it was shifting fine... so I drove it the last bit to my apartment and parked her...

Is there anything that I can check with no real tools? and what the **** is up with the dipstick? could they have designed it any worse?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

oh and the installer wants to put the pan from my old trans on it and see if it stops leaking..

think I hurt anything?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If theres fluid all over the dip stick I would think the trans might be over full possibly. Start car and let idle remove stick and wipe down , Put stick back in and then pull out if fluild is still all over the stick then it is overfull and it will leak particularly after it gets hot and push fluid out vent tube, Also trans will act strange due to air churning up.
After you do that give me a call and let me know what you find, The trans with that converter will only hold like 9 quarts +- .
Its unlikely you hurt anything at this point.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

haven't had a chance to really look at it, been swamped with getting out of the military...

I am going to goof around with it here in a few, I will call you and let you know what I find