Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid windage tray question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Stupid windage tray question.

I bought a batwing vette oil pan off ebay. The seller said it came with baffles. I assumed he meant windage tray. But no windage tray was shipped.
This is going on my LQ9 motor. Any chance the truck tray will work?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baffles and tray are two different things...Baffles are part of the pan, the tray is not.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could try it, but the gm parts book shows 2 different part #'s for the truck and vette windage trays. the vette part # is 12558189 also call a dealer and ask but it says the vette and gto trays are the same.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep, local dealer has it for under $25 so I oredered one.
I just wasn't sure if it's a bolt in piece in place of my truck tray or if there would be vette specific spacers that needed to be used.
I'm still kind of foggy on why different windage trays for different pans when it's the trays location to the crank that's important.

Originally Posted by joelvette
you could try it, but the gm parts book shows 2 different part #'s for the truck and vette windage trays. the vette part # is 12558189 also call a dealer and ask but it says the vette and gto trays are the same.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Yep, local dealer has it for under $25 so I oredered one.
I just wasn't sure if it's a bolt in piece in place of my truck tray or if there would be vette specific spacers that needed to be used.
I'm still kind of foggy on why different windage trays for different pans when it's the trays location to the crank that's important.
One difference is that the truck pans are deeper and allow plenty of room for the oil pickup tube. The Fbody pan is shallow (in the front) and there is no room for the pickup tube and the windage tray. The Fbody tray is much shorter than the truck tray. May be a similar situation with the Vette tray and pickup tube.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, pulled the pan and windage tray today. I'm kind of curious to see how different the vette windage tray is.
How about the pickup O rings. Why are thee several different ones? I've got an LQ9 block with an 02 vette pickup tube. Why are there different O rings, and which should I use.
BTW, I'm tempted to go to the hardware store and buy a $0.25 O ring rather than the $5 (minimum 5 piece order) O ring for the pickup tube.

Originally Posted by george88gta
One difference is that the truck pans are deeper and allow plenty of room for the oil pickup tube. The Fbody pan is shallow (in the front) and there is no room for the pickup tube and the windage tray. The Fbody tray is much shorter than the truck tray. May be a similar situation with the Vette tray and pickup tube.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garys 68
Yep, pulled the pan and windage tray today. I'm kind of curious to see how different the vette windage tray is.
How about the pickup O rings. Why are thee several different ones? I've got an LQ9 block with an 02 vette pickup tube. Why are there different O rings, and which should I use.
BTW, I'm tempted to go to the hardware store and buy a $0.25 O ring rather than the $5 (minimum 5 piece order) O ring for the pickup tube.
Well, now you are in a dangerous area. The wrong "O" ring or an incorrectly installed "O" ring will result in loss of oil pressure. Sorry, but I cant advise you as to the correct "O" ring. I am surprised that there are more than one O ring available. Hopefully, someone a lot wiser than me can answer that question. You may want to call Mark at Street & Performance, they do a lot of conversions.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You use the o-ring for the pickup tube that you will be using

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Found it on your site. Ordering today.

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey

Last edited by garys 68; 05-15-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just a thought, especially since I dont know how big a job it would be, a cross reference list of O rings and pickup tubes would be welcome. A lot of folks have low or no oil pressure problems and this would be just another source for a solution. E.G. I have a 2002 6.0L with a modified LS1 pickup tube. I used the LS1 O ring, but I could have just as easily purchased an LQ4 O ring and potentially caused myself a problem.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I too need a LS2 oil pump pickup o-ring? I guess I am not good searching sites, do you have a part number?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Stupid windage tray question.