battery is good
car wont pop start
when i turn the key nothing happens but the ele. will turn on
security light is not on
i can hear the fuel pump start
fuses are all good

-i think it might be the resister in my key can i delet this with hp tuners

thanks for the help-craig

Last edited by tailpipe; 05-13-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked spark?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Take a piece of wire and strip it on both ends, turn ur key to the on position and go to ur fuse box and remove the starter relay, take one end of the wire and touch it to the power lead by the fuse box, and then stick the other end in the hole that the the 30 prong was in (or just try them all if you can't figure out which one that was) and see if she starts to crank. If this happens, check the wiring going into yoru computer and BCM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:53 PM
jmb
Teching In

Default Similar starting problem

I'm trying to track down a similar starting problem. With mine the dash lights up, fuel pump starts, clutch pushed in, then nothing. The security light stays on though and I have to wait the 3 Min. for the vats to reset. I've read that this could be the wires that read the resistor on the key. However, I also notice that where the clutch is positioned can make a difference. Sometimes it will start to turn over, then stop. If I let out on the clutch a little it turns over. Sooo, I dug under the dash and pulled the starter safety switch. It was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it. It seems to be lubricated but I only cleaned the crud off and left as much grease as I could, as I don't have any electrical grade light grease on hand. I'll put it back in and see what happens.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmb
I'm trying to track down a similar starting problem. With mine the dash lights up, fuel pump starts, clutch pushed in, then nothing. The security light stays on though and I have to wait the 3 Min. for the vats to reset. I've read that this could be the wires that read the resistor on the key. However, I also notice that where the clutch is positioned can make a difference. Sometimes it will start to turn over, then stop. If I let out on the clutch a little it turns over. Sooo, I dug under the dash and pulled the starter safety switch. It was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it. It seems to be lubricated but I only cleaned the crud off and left as much grease as I could, as I don't have any electrical grade light grease on hand. I'll put it back in and see what happens.

your problem is VATS, the original poster sounds like it could be another issue... security light = vats problem, been through it myself. now my car starts fine... but my security light is ALWAYS on
Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be a resistor, could be a dirty key, i know that would happen to my car a couple times, i just wiped the key off an it started up okay
Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
could be a resistor, could be a dirty key, i know that would happen to my car a couple times, i just wiped the key off an it started up okay
ya but he's not getting a "security" light. that to me would mean it's NOT vats
Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was talking to jmb
Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
jmb
Teching In

3 sucessful starts since cleaning the safety switch, but that's nothing. I was going to wait about 5 days and that should tell more.

daredevil, did you wipe off the key with anything special? I've wiped it off on my shirt, , but with no effect.

atx, what did you do to fix? New ignition switch or what? And I have to wonder why the security light is always on.

btw, what is a "pop start". is that the same as a push?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmb
3 sucessful starts since cleaning the safety switch, but that's nothing. I was going to wait about 5 days and that should tell more.

daredevil, did you wipe off the key with anything special? I've wiped it off on my shirt, , but with no effect.

atx, what did you do to fix? New ignition switch or what? And I have to wonder why the security light is always on.

btw, what is a "pop start". is that the same as a push?

I got a new key... 3 months later now the leads on my tumbler are going out, causing the constant "security light"
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd just wipe it with my fingers but it sounds like you have a more serious problem tho
Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

if you have a clutch stick your hand under the dash.. next to the clutch pedal going up under the dash.. there is a button.. push and hold then turn the key.. see if i starts if it doesn't theres your problem its not the key
Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stange567
if you have a clutch stick your hand under the dash.. next to the clutch pedal going up under the dash.. there is a button.. push and hold then turn the key.. see if i starts if it doesn't theres your problem its not the key

but if it is the key or the tumbler wires as mentioned earlier...

take an ohmeter, check the resistance of your key pellet, buy resistor (radio shack) that is in the same range, shbox has info i think, pull knee bolster and look for tumbler wires (red/white or orange/white) if i remember correctly,
splice in resistor....now any key correctly made to fit will crank, regardless of pellet...BUT...you have successfully bypassed your VATS...so less security...

one of mine trashed years ago (wires worn) and i used extra tumbler wired in with key in it until i could get resistor...will work the same...reading off the extra key, not the ignition key...sold the car wired with resistor but i did let new owner know due to compromised security!!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
jmb
Teching In

Originally Posted by stange567
If that's the ignition lock out close to the firewall I did take it out Sunday and clean it. It was pretty cruddy. Since then 12 successful starts. Keeping my fingers crossed.