Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Freaking turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Freaking turbo problems

Ok I had a cheap turbo on my car when I first got it turboed and it started blowing oil out of the compressor housing so I figured dang now is the time to buy a good turbo so I bought me a garrett turbo that didnt have many miles on it at all. I put it on today and it barely fit in the spot but it managed to go on. Well I start the car up and about 10 seconds later it started blowing oil out the exhaust housing. WTF is going on here? I have a oil restrictor in the inlet of the turbo. Thanks guys for any help on this. What could it be?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size is the drain? Is it bent or run weird? If it doesnt get the oil out fast enough, no matter what size restricter you put in will help.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New or Used Garret turbo?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said is this a old used garett? Generally oil is too much oil pressure.Is this ball bearing type they use much less oil pressure. Agree on the oil drain. Is this gravity or scavenger pump system.Is drain clear not blocked. Is this a homemade setup? Maybe need to see some pics of the setup. Excessive crankcase pressure can also cause oil to come out. Might need to modify the pcv system and crankcase breathing. Is your engine healthy?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

My engine was/is fine before the turbo setup.My car idles around 40 psi. All this is happening with the car Idiling. I believe it is not a ball bearing turbo. From what the the seller said its not. The turbo suppose to have about 8-10k miles on it. The cheap turbo was a brand new one. I believe my oil drain is a -10an with a 1/2 inch drain or 3/4 drain cant remember off my head. No its just gravity flow. It doesnt look like it is going up hill. But my car does have a nose dive stance sitting still. How could I tell if it is my drain? Could I run a scavenger pump with a front mount setup?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Come on guys any suggestions
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

post pics
Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you say your oil return "doesn't look like it is going uphill" then there's your problem. Fix your oil return or run a scavenge pump. Easy fix.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Agree post pics. If the garett is used it might be screwed. Does it feel like it has much play put it in and out. what about side to side play?

What model of garett is it. As said if the turbo is good then its likely oil return,too much oil pressure,you might need a bigger restrictor in the line. Oil return blockage or gravity is not working for you you might need a scavenger pump. Or lastly crankcase pressure build up. This got me several times in my one dsm thought engine was gone ,so much oil was coming out exhaust and everywhere. It was blockage in pcv system.Change out pcv valve you might have to runa breather etc. Is this some home made turbo kit or what..?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a partial homemade and partial ebay knock off ptk. The turbo didnt have play side to side or in and out. There is no oil in my pre turbo exhaust. I guess it might be my return then. Damn this sucks. If it is my return and I fix the problem will my turbo be ok from this problem or would this screw something up in the turbo? I will post some pics of it today. Thanks guys for the help
Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem with this kit...take off oil cap and see if it stops if it does install an oil cap breather and viola'
Old 05-14-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah my turbo was fine after had the blocked pcv thing on my talon. The smoke quit after a few days there was a lot of oil pushed thru.
Good idea on the breather and you turbo sounds fine.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well then I will try the oil cap deal then. Thanks and I will update later
Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I tried the oil cap deal and same oil just leaking an blowing out the exhaust housing. Next step I guess is to get a pump to pump the oil back to the engine.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
FormerVendor

Where does your drain go to? If it's the front cover, you don't have enough fall in the line. I have that kit (well the one the design was stolen from) and I have a real and proper PCV system, a restrictor in the line, and my drain goes down to the pan as it should. I don't have any smoking issues at all.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine goes to the top of the pan on the driver side. Im really starting to get pissed at it.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question How is..

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
Mine goes to the top of the pan on the driver side. Im really starting to get pissed at it.
the center section clocked? More than 30* off vertical, and it can/will retain an oil puddle in the brg area... Leaks will result.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will try to clock it better then maybe a smaller restrictor. I will post up when I figure this out thanks guys for all the help and suggestions
Old 05-15-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i cut my stock fan shroud in half kept the passanger side in place,bought a slim 14" fan and put it driver side front of a/c cond...i will be adding on more to the front and another small one above or below the turbo.
i installed a 160 degree thermostat.
my turbo drains to the oil pan,very front passanger side of motor,tapped the hole and threaded on the brass fitting(dont forget thread seal tape!)***dont drill any deeper than absoulutly needed or you will hit the steel engine oil pick up tube***!! do away with pcv system all together..install oil fill breather . the smoke you are getting is because of your drain not draining. it must be at a downward angle even as slight as mine is ,if there is a bend in the drain line (at all)then it will back up and smoke! angle your turbo so that the fitting points slightly at the bottom of the motor(not str8 up and down) so there is a nice downward curve to the fitting at the oil pan..or buy a scavage pump
P.S. what did you use for a oil restictor?..i dont use one at the moment
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put in a valve so I can adjust my oil pressure at the turbo I was at 40psi Idle I talked to a few turbo guys and they said 20psi at idle will be fine so i set it at 20psi at idle and now I dont have anymore oil leaking out of it. I hope this fixed it forsure. Will a nitrous jet work the same as this valve? I kinda dont like it since it could be bumped or anything and turned off.

Quick Reply: Freaking turbo problems