Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rebound Rate - Stock Shocks vs Koni SA Full Soft

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebound Rate - Stock Shocks vs Koni SA Full Soft

hey guys,

Looking to set my suspension up. Car is about 90% Street, 10% Track.

Never will be autocrossed, and I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the stock handling. I don't have the nerve to push it on the street (guess i'm getting older, lol).

Anyhow car is a 2002 A4 Z28.

See a lot of Sam's posts for a 'decent' setup you can go with stock springs and koni SA shocks and set them full soft on the front when you want to launch it hard.

But I guess my question is the Koni SA shocks set at full soft still stiffer then the factory shocks (decarbons). If they are then there's really no need for me to run anything but the factory shocks ( won't go to qa1s). But if they can be less resistant or damn close to the factory shocks on rebound then I wouldn't mind the ability to improve the handling.

Or if anybody has an alternative shock option that would be close to the factory (if not still a little softer), but still have the ability to turn them up speak up. Thx.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm also interested in this.

I'll add another question.... how is the compression on the stock decarbons compared to Koni SA's compression. Other shocks? I'm sure a lot haven't been tested because I don't think most people have time to mess with this stuff.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

If you turn Koni's way down to or near full soft in front, weight transfer is not an issue. FWIW, most folks run the fronts around half stiff because they want better damping control than the softer end gives. Basically they have a wide range of adjustment, and at or near full soft is intended to critically damp stock V-6 springs (keep them under control) which are not very stiff. So you don't need tons of rebound to do that. But as you turn them up you get a lot more force when you want or need it.

Plenty of folks running good 60's on Koni's, and some even better than on "drag" shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Sam its not that i don't believe your advise but a true drag shock will out perform a koni street shock on the drag strip every time. If you don't mind throw out some names of the "plenty of folks" that you are refering too.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't remember names, I talk to far, far too many people on a daily basis. Of course I'm not helped by the fact most folks don't use their real names as screen names.

One man is named Karl Loper and lives in Maryland, though I don't know he's on this site. Another is on this site--I see to recall his name is John and he lives in Berkley Springs, WV (not even sure why I recall that).

I also recall more than once finding that folks didn't get their 60's hurt when changing to Koni's from stock. But you can ask that question yourself. Maybe start a poll.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

10% track though sounds like they only want to go to the track a few times a year and aren't planning on pulling the front wheels or anything. Doesn't seem worth it to go with a set of drag shocks for that little amount of time spent at the track.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
10% track though sounds like they only want to go to the track a few times a year and aren't planning on pulling the front wheels or anything. Doesn't seem worth it to go with a set of drag shocks for that little amount of time spent at the track.
Exactly my thoughts. Sorry folks...in this business, you can't have one shock that does it all. I'll take street manners over track performance any day of the week.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

i have the koni singles on a 94 Z28 and Sam's bars F/R. i can tell you setting the front konis to 4 or 5 sweeps from full hard makes a comfortable but mushy ride. i also have GC coilovers/jackers F/R 500/150lbs

i like 7 (3 sweeps from full hard) in front and 0 (full soft) rear. very neutral handling and stable. 26.6"/27" fender heights.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I agree with you and for that reason I will NOT run QA1s or drag springs. My question was that will I lose some weight transfer from stock shocks to the Koni SA set all the way down and looks like the answer is no. In that event I don't have a problem running the Koni's to have some decent handling manners in the street (it won't be badass with stock springs, but better). If the Koni's were too stiff at full soft and i'd 60' less (or actually "longer") then the stock shocks then I wouldn't bother with them. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll probably eventually go to a full drag setup, but don't have the power to even bother; nor do I want to do that with a lien still on the car...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
In that event I don't have a problem running the Koni's to have some decent handling manners in the street (it won't be badass with stock springs, but better).
Actually IMHO it was pretty badass with just Konis. You could push the car so hard and feel everything it was doing, while having great balance and control.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Not sure if this helps, but I just put Sam's Konis on my 95TA with worn out decarbons and stock springs.

I do not know what new decarbons feel like, but I can tell you that along with better handling, my car rides smoother on the highway and feels much more stable and predictable now. I do notice small bumps in the road a little more.

Also, the brake dive was greatly reduced, probably due to the better damping in the rear shocks (I got 3rd gen rears).

Long story short, even if you are happy with the stock handling, the Konis will feel much more stable and predictable on the street/90% while not giving an overly harsh ride.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Launching!

z28bryan wrote:

I'm also interested in this.

I'll add another question.... how is the compression on the stock decarbons compared to Koni SA's compression. Other shocks? I'm sure a lot haven't been tested because I don't think most people have time to mess with this stuff.
This hasn't been answered. How does the Koni SA's compression compare to deCarbons? Also, with the Koni SA's on full soft for reboud.. how does this compare to the rate on the deCarbons.

I would tend to think that the Koni's compression rate is lower than the deCarbons, but the rebound rate of the Koni's (even on the lowest setting) is higher than the deCarbons.

Can someone who know's for sure chime in?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm surprised nobody is chiming in with their Koni & 1/4 mile experience?! I've only had my car on the road for about ~1 month (or less) since putting in the Strano setup, and while I've already done 2 weekends on the road course, I've not (yet) done any drag racing.

When I do, I guess I'll find out if/how much the Koni's have hurt my 60' times. I suspect that with the fronts softened up, it won't be bad.

And the beauty is, all it takes is a stupid little allen key to completely change the feel of the car!! At the track, I tightened up the rebound. When I was leaving the track, I softened it up for the street. Noticeable difference, and perfect performance/behaviour for both situations . I think these Koni's are great .
Old 06-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Launching!

This hasn't been answered. How does the Koni SA's compression compare to deCarbons? Also, with the Koni SA's on full soft for reboud.. how does this compare to the rate on the deCarbons.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You won't get an answer I'd guess. The front compression on DeCarbon's isn't horrible, the rear is very stiff. Koni and DeCarbon compression in front is pretty similar, rears are very different and rebound is big time different @ both ends.

Quick Reply: Rebound Rate - Stock Shocks vs Koni SA Full Soft