PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did carputing send me the right stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default did carputing send me the right stuff?

i ordered the standar program +1 pcm so it will(should) work on 2 cars. what i got:
CD
black cable, one end is bigger than the other
tan cable, both ends same size and hookups are the same
and a little black box.

what does the box do? it looks like it connects between the cable and the laptop but is the what decides if it is hooked up to the right car or is that done by the cable itself? does this hook up to the tan cable and take the place of the "bulge" in the black cable?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: did carputing send me the right stuff?

Yeah you got all the right stuff. The little black box tranlates the OBDII signal levels to standard RS232 serial that PC's use. It also gets burned with all the VINs you are allowed to use. There are up to 4 firmware slots for VINs in the box, but only the number you paid for are enabled, in your case 2. So the first two cars you flash will get burned into the little black box, and that's permanent, so be careful and dont' screw around. The big end of the black cable plugs into your car just to the right of the steering column. The other cable goes from the black box to your laptop. Have fun but just make damn sure you have a good charge on both the car battery and the laptop before you decide to flash your PCM.