General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help me!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Please help me!!

I have a 2000 TA. My problem is that my passenger side front turn signal socket/compartment(where the bulb is housed) keeps filling up with water after it rains. And because of this it keeps fouling the bulb. I checked all around it can't find anything wrong, any ideas/info greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard some guys just drill holes through bottom of the housing to let the water drain.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the drilling a small hole in the bottom of both of mine. My friend's Mercedes had them like that and I kept having water get in my lights. I replaced both housings a couple times (found hairline cracks in them), which is what I am assuming allowed the water in. After awhile, got tired of spending the money so I did the holes...its been probably 4 yrs now and no problems. Make sure to use some grease when you put the bulbs in though...the setup allows the socket to collect water.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The lens/compartment needs to be completely replaced. There is probably a hairline crack in it. (Its hard to see these cracks at stand-still, but when you drive - the air pressure on the lens deforms it and opens up the crack.)

Drilling a weep hole in the bottom will help keep water from pooling on the bulb, but it will still get wet eventually and blow.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

mwke shure the falt or rubber gasket in on there if not it will leak.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default leaky lamps

I have the same problem -I'll try the drilling holes, to see if it fixes or at least delays the problem only getting a week or 2 out of bulbs/sockets -NICE deisgn GM ! why didnt the socket go in from the top? water wont pool up there
Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1969
I have the same problem -I'll try the drilling holes, to see if it fixes or at least delays the problem only getting a week or 2 out of bulbs/sockets -NICE deisgn GM ! why didnt the socket go in from the top? water wont pool up there
Try pressing on the front of the lens with your finger and move it around to different parts. That may be enough to expose the crack.

BTW - Even if the bulb came in from the top, it wouldn't help much. In order for reflectors to work, the filament needs to be in the center of the reflector, putting the bulb in the middle. Water hitting the socket is not necessarily what is blowing the bulbs. The shock of the water on the glass is enough to do it in and can even shatter the glass when it gets hot. There should also be a breather filter in the lamp to equalize moisture in/outside of the lens. So - vapor will drain. But, when you get a crack, it opens up the floodgates.

Even with a weep hole drilled in the lens, you'll still have bulbs blow because high amounts of water will still get in. (It just shouldn't happen as frequently.)